What's new

Is This Finally the End for the Surface

Seneleron

I seriously think some of you got units with bad thermal paste or something. The ONLY way I could get my SP3 to break 90c was with prime95. I know that at 92c the SP3 was about half as loud as my [now wife's] SP2, but that's what happens when you get a bigger fan and a larger diameter heat sync onboard Connected standby can be disabled, as can indexing and windows search [which should help with temps AND with freeing up resources.

And I disagree about the post saying "you can't expect this to perform like another PC". YES, I CAN. It is a tablet running a full version of windows. I don't expect it to run like my desktop 4770k, or run games like my 780ti, But I DO expect that If I need to run some software, or some lower end games, that it'll run them. SOME people have had huge issues getting this to happen, but I have to be honest. . I'm not one of them [of course, I'm not the kind of person attempting to install and run the latest AAA titles, but Hearthstone and D3 have run just fine [D3 at lower resolutions and settings]

The difference here is that apparently a few people on the forums are QQing to no end because they are allegedly experiencing lower performance on the SP3 compared with the SP2. We don't have pics, so I can't comfirm/deny, but here's a counterpoint: My experience has been the opposite so far.

It has NOT been perfect. I can't seem to get my Razer Adaro wireless headphones to consistently sync and stay sync'd. I don't know if they're discharging in my bag because I'm not using them consistently or if there's an issue with the bluetooth on this thing. I didn't have this issue with the SP2, though.

To Be77Solo:

Actually, if some people are NOT experiencing issues, that means that there are NOT "serious performance problems" with ALL SP3s. Bad units happen, though the biggest contributor of computer related problems is PEBKAC. If you'd like to DOCUMENT your problems [pics and video would help] I'll be more than happy to attempt to duplicate your results...

ipaq_101

For you apple people who expect perfection, this isn't an ipad, it does more than any ipad can ever do, therefore there will be issues, as its a complex machine that acts in a capacity of a replacement desktop. My friends have macbook pros and they have had their own set of issues after OS upgrades, problem is that most apple users aren't smart enough to look up a forum and complain about it.

I haven't had as many issues as others, however I do know they will be resolved over the next few weeks.

Someone wrote that what people are reading about are the few people who have had issues and I agree with that person, what you are reading on the forum are savvy windows users who know where to go to ask questions and find solutions.

It has been two days and people are thinking it's the doom of the PC and microsoft, calm down....

demandarin

I'd gladly trade my Pro1, which hasn't had not 1 issue since I got it, to someone not satisfied with pro3. ;)

Most issues I'm seeing can be handled firmware wise. Lots have already been addressed through update.

To the gamers, are you trying to push these games at the pro3 full resolution or reduced(like most do with pro1 and pro2 that game)? my pro1 was my sole gaming device until I got a ps4. Now I don't really worry about gaming on my pro. Although it did introduce me to steam and I've since amassed a huge library of games on my Pro1

geckoking

The performance is night and day when its plugged in than running off battery. If Microsoft can fix this issue without comprising battery life, I will keep this, otherwise it would be useless to have a tablet always plugged in to an outlet.

demandarin

The performance is night and day when its plugged in than running off battery. If Microsoft can fix this issue without comprising battery life, I will keep this, otherwise it would be useless to have a tablet always plugged in to an outlet.

That's the power profile. I guess if enough voice their opinion on the need for maximum performance, at the cost of battery life, an update might include it.

People having any luck using Intel extreme utility to change throttle temps, etc..?

EMINENT

They were right to release this because if they didn't, they would've missed sales of this product for the 2nd half of the year. It's too bad Intel was too slow to market Broadwell or you'd be seeing even greater early adopters on that ship instead.

I would gladly have issues listed above than deal with the limits of an ipad or lugging a laptop.

There are no issues I've come across or read that would EVER drive me to another platform with those limits. There just isn't any other player in the game.

I think some people are expecting way too much from this machine.

People that look at this need to seriously understand some things:
1. It's not going to type better than a laptop keyboard.
2. It's not going to be as light as a toy tablet.

I bought mine so I have a lightweight tablet with a big enough screen as big as i'd like to carry with me, and a laptop when I need it.
Mine is working exceptionally fine so far. I'd rather have a slower, yet thinner, lighter and longer lasting machine than my old SP1 and even SP2.

Today, I got 7 hrs. on battery with 10% left with 30% auto brightness, doing browsing, emails, remote desktop, installing Office and Photoshop, and casting videos to my Xbox One. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Bazzer

Have we a rotten Apple in the box? Lets get the facts Apple are all style over substance. They do software updates but keep it well hidden. No one bothers to give them viruses because the internet infrastructure is not Apple. If you want a configurable computer get Microsoft. The problem is that Microsoft cannot get their hardware selling slick.

malberttoo

The iPad is so successful because it is easy to use and just works. The Surface on the other hand is plagued with minor problems that require multiple driver and firmware updates that is a serious disincentive to the would be buyer.

Seriously, how naive are you?? EVERY SINGLE APPLE product has had issues!! EVERY major update for their devices gobbles up tons of media coverage for a week about all the problems people are having! WiFi issues, GPS problems, excessive battery usage issues, Mag-safe connectors that get too hot and catch things on fire, iPhone death grip, Apple maps guiding drivers onto active runways, and that's just the stuff I could think of off the top of my head in 20 seconds!

EVERY device like this has issues out of the gate, EVERY one. Seriously, after only 2 days on the market, of course there will be lots of enthusiasts discovering issues, and I'm fairly confident with what Microsoft has invested in this, fixes will come. I would be highly surprised though if Panos Panay got on the Surface Blog and told all the SP3 owners with WiFi issues that "you're just holding it wrong", which of course was the party line from the company that "just works".

Give it a little time, no doubt these issues will be resolved!

Edit: Also, comparing an iPad to any Surface?? You're comparing a bicycle to an SUV. Totally different usage scenarios.

Last edited:
OP
K

Knuck

Seriously, how naive are you?? EVERY SINGLE APPLE product has had issues!! EVERY major update for their devices gobbles up tons of media coverage for a week about all the problems people are having! WiFi issues, GPS problems, excessive battery usage issues, Mag-safe connectors that get too hot and catch things on fire, iPhone death grip, Apple maps guiding drivers onto active runways, and that's just the stuff I could think of off the top of my head in 20 seconds!

EVERY device like this has issues out of the gate, EVERY one. Seriously, after only 2 days on the market, of course there will be lots of enthusiasts discovering issues, and I'm fairly confident with what Microsoft has invested in this, fixes will come. I would be highly surprised though if Panos Panay got on the Surface Blog and told all the SP3 owners with WiFi issues that "you're just holding it wrong", which of course was the party line from the company that "just works".

I think you are missing the point here. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has suffered dismal sales. If they want this product to be successful, it has to be stellar. Releasing it with slow performance and serious heat issues is inexcusable. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot. Not only are they not encouraging new adopters they are turning off some of their existing customer base. I love the Surface concept and successfully use my SP2 as a tablet laptop, and desktop. Microsoft is obviously trying to target both Air and iPad users by releasing a lighter thinner and larger model with i3 and i5 power at similar price points. Coming out with a slower next generation product with several serious issues such as heat and slow WiFi is not going to achieve increased sales. Without a substantial increase in sales, eventually they will have to throw in the towel.

kristalsoldier

I think you are missing the point here. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has suffered dismal sales. If they want this product to be successful, it has to be stellar. Releasing it with slow performance and serious heat issues is inexcusable. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot. Not only are they not encouraging new adopters they are turning off some of their existing customer base. I love the Surface concept and successfully use my SP2 as a tablet laptop, and desktop. Microsoft is obviously trying to target both Air and iPad users by releasing a lighter thinner and larger model with i3 and i5 power at similar price points. Coming out with a slower next generation product with several serious issues such as heat and slow WiFi is not going to achieve increased sales. Without a substantial increase in sales, eventually they will have to throw in the towel.

I wonder if you had the same reaction when Apple released the iPad Air with IGB of RAM? The Air is - and this is universally accepted - not very different from the iPad 4 aside from - wait for it - slimness of profile and weight.

scottysize

What you are reading are about the problems some people have with their Surface. What you are not reading is about all the people who are not having problems, mostly because they don't have a reason to participate if everything is work. I personally know several Surface owners who haven't had problem 1.

If my customers had problems with their Surface tablets I would have been the first to hear about it. The only issues I have heard about were Windows 8/8.1 questions.

Add me to the list. ^^^ The only problems I'm having are learning Windows 8.1. The device is superb.