What's new

Issues with Screens

anthonyfear

Hi All

Just wondering, if this is a common issue or if I'm just, really, unlucky.

Last night I was going to fit a screen protector and noticed that my Surface seemed to have a dust particle (white speck) in the lower left hand corner of the screen. This was quite obvious when using IE with a white background as the spec shows up black.
Further inspection revealed that the object was actually under the top layer of glass. Believe me when i say I checked and double-checked that this was not a dead pixel but was in fact some kind of dust particle under the glass.
The best way to confirm this is to power the unit off, because that way I can see see the bright white spec (about the size of a pixel) clearly visible on the screen and thus it cannot be a dead pixel. No amount of cleaning was going to get rid of it because it was beneath the screen surface (excuse the pun).

Now my wife thinks I'm mad but this little dot was driving me mad once I noticed it ! So, as I'm within my return period, I decided to exchange the whole unit at my local Best Buy. They agreed they could see the flaw and agreed to exchange the unit.

I've got a brand new Surface Pro in-hand now and while it is significantly better - it too has a very small white spec in the same general area. Whilst I know it's there and it means I don't have a 'perfect' unit I think I can probably live with it.

But just wondered if this is a common issue?

Just as an FYI, I believe the particle is metal because it reflects differently from different angles. It's very weird!

bertopl

very strange that you got two in a row in the same general area. I can tell you I've thoroughly inspected mine and I have no such defects.

MMU

So, as I'm within my return period, I decided to exchange the whole unit at my local Best Buy. They agreed they could see the flaw and agreed to exchange the unit.

Can I assume you don't shop for produce?

Because I don't see how you would ever find an apple, carrot or head of lettuce that was good enough for you.