What's new

Iyour windows update working? 0x80070643

I don't think it's a Surface issue but my main computer doesn't have this problem and I see online many people recently started getting this error.

I started getting it a few days ago when Windows defender wasn't updating. I ignored it. But today there was another update for windows and that too gets the same error in updating. Anybody else?

Nuspieds

The following update was released on December 4th and it generates the error:

• Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3122947) - Error 0x80070643​

Search the internet and you'll find that so many people are experiencing the issue that it is obviously a bug that MS needs to fix. If you're brave and/or wish to have all updates installed even if there are known bugs, here's a reference that could help you:

Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3122947) - Error 0x80070643

leeshor

Nobody I know with a Surface Pro 4 has experienced that issue. It does appear to be a .NET problem.

OP
S

starstreak

I tried option 1 but said it wasn't for my windows. I tried option 2, but it didn't correct issue.

Nuspieds- I saw those, but mine was happening before that update. Also, I cannot go into safe mode.

Here is the error screen now:
error.jpg

leeshor

I had that update error, for 1 day, then it worked fine. Mine was only on defender though.

Nuspieds

Nuspieds- I saw those, but mine was happening before that update. Also, I cannot go into safe mode.
You are unable to boot into Safe mode? That's definitely something serious, for sure. What error do you get?

Your 1511 error is the same that practically everyone seems to be experiencing, so I don't think that's a concern. However, the Windows Defender update error (seeing that it is the same as the 1511 error) might be indicative of a larger issue, especially since you can't boot into Safe mode.

I did a search on your Windows Defender KB and found this link that may be able to help:

OP
S

starstreak

I'm not familiar with .NET issues. When I booted into safe mode, could it give me a pop-up window that says: This app can't open. Get Started can't be opened using the Buil-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account."
When I clear that error, even though I started safe mode w/networking, my wireless won't work. shows a X on it. I could've sworn it worked in safe modem before. Also, when I click on the windows flag, you can normally type the name of the file you want. In safe mode, it doesn't work. But not sure if that didn't work before...

Nuspieds- I can boot into safe mode, but I get the error shown above once I do. Man, I think I'm going to need to do a system restore a few days at a time...

Nobody I know with a Surface Pro 4 has experienced that issue. It does appear to be a .NET problem.

OP
S

starstreak

Augh. I had three restore points. 12/5, 12/2, 11/30. Lol. 12/2 till now has ALOT of stuff installed. It's system restore is running now, it'll probably take like 15mins+ to remote all the things I installed.
installed1of2.jpg
installed2of2.jpg

OP
S

starstreak

Well that wasn't the cause... Restore completed fine.
I ran the system update, There was a Surface hardware update in that time frame. and about 3-4 windows updates. After a few reboots it said updates installed. I checked, and the same two update is failing the Windows Defender, which is ok. I have Norton installed. And yes, I did try and uninstalling Norton, but that didn't help. And that Windows 10 1511 update. I guess I can squeeze my buttcheeks and restore back to nov 24. Considering I THINK I got my Surface around that date, it's like starting from scratch.

Btw, I wouldn't try this if I thought it was only the windows update failing. Since my safe mode was giving me that weird error too, I'm wondering if something more is messed up.

Oh man, I have to redo my icloud and office 365 and everything. my stomach hurts just thinking about it.

OP
S

starstreak

Wow. Windows 10 restore works better than 7. I restored all the way back to Nov 24th. The updates failed. Must be those updates then.
I told windows restore to restore to 12/5 just before I did the restores. It actually restored my computer from a 2 restore back. So I'm back to square one.
Maybe I should've asked, can anybody with a single login for Windows 10, go into "safe mode with networking" and tell me if you get a pop-up window that says "This app can't open. Get Started can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account."
And two, does your Wifi work? Mine in safe mode said it couldn't start the driver.

Nuspieds

Safe mode is supposed to work and get you to the basics for Windows. The Networking option adds that capability so it, too, should work; if not, something is seriously messed up.

Have you tried a sfc /scannow? If, even after that, you are still not able to get to a usable Safe mode, then a refresh is probably your best next step.