What's new

Just new SP4 display crashing

badgered1

I've taken delivery of my new SP$ i5 8gb, I've added nothing, changed nothing, just browsing, but I get keep getting display driver crashing and recovering messages springing from the right. (Something about a windows 8(R))
Also the screen get all scrambled with lines radiating from the top left, its unuseable but a restart sorts it out.
Do I send it back? Call a helpline?

Has anyone else got this problem in the UK?
Thanks

nuttyone

Yes - its a common issue. Just keep checking windows update until its all up-to-date. Also, if you google Surface Pro 4 drivers - Microsoft's download website has an API you can run which I did also just to make sure the drivers were uptodate as can be.

Others have found doing a clean install with the November update ISO useful - just have nothing plugged in except your power when you do it (no microSD card either).

Oh and welcome to the forum

alexd88

i have bought from france shipped yesterday, no driver crash, one single time black screen after waking up from sleep, since then only hibernate or shutting down, i don't use windows hello or cortana both are disabled. work flowless. update it to last firmware

Mmmm now its popping, clicking say one click every few minutes.
I should mention that there is an overwhelming consensus that the display driver issues are connected with Edge browser and that if you use a different browser, you will probably be fine. (Others on other devices with Win 10 and Edge experience the same crashes).

Carolv

I should mention that there is an overwhelming consensus that the display driver issues are connected with Edge browser and that if you use a different browser, you will probably be fine. (Others on other devices with Win 10 and Edge experience the same crashes).

For the record, I don't use Edge, I use Firefox and have had the display crash a few times.

For the record, I don't use Edge, I use Firefox and have had the display crash a few times.
Yes, I'm aware that of the scores of people who have reported this issue, there are 2 or 3 who report having it without using Edge. However, given the overwhelming number of people who eliminated the issue by using other browsers, I don't think your almost-unique situation invalidates the theory that it's almost always Edge-related.