What's new

Just wow!

I got the delivery confirmation from UPS yesterday afternoon and skipped off early from work.

I must admit that, on the train back, I was trying to temper things a little - as I had gotten myself sufficiently excited about things that the only way was down. (This coming from an out and out Apple person by the way).

My first thought whilst Unboxing was that Apple really have missed a trick here. The Surface (i5/8Gig/256) is a wonderful size and feels just right in the hands. I'm currently doing a bit of lapability typing this and have no problems whatsoever - even down to the two finger scrolling on the trackpad.

Set-up was a relative breeze - no fan noise and no heating up, even whilst installing the various updates.

I've used 8.1 on my wife's standard laptop and came close to lobbing the thing through the window. On the Surface though, it makes so much sense. I'm finding that most of the touch gestures are extremely intuitive - although I need to stop trying to scrunch to close apps down.

Only few niggles so far;
- When the keyboard is in full "lapability" mode, I can't get to the swipe up part of the screen at the bottom.
- It was a pain to have to look up using Win+R to run iexplore so that I could find sufficient options to import my Safari bookmarks. (Most of the help stuff refers to running Desktop IE - which doesn't exist in the task bar)
- Whilst Outlook has happily accepted my Work Exchange details, the MUI Mail and Calendar flatly refuse to. They eventually get to prompting for address, server, userid, domain and password but then fail, saying that the details (although identical to Outlook) are incorrect. My guess is that MUI is using ActiveSync (which is disabled at work), and Outlook uses EWS (which isn't)
- The dodgy piece of fabric that someone remembered to include with the pen after everything had been completed. Hmmmmmm.

All pretty pedantic stuff though. The MacBook Air - which frankly now feels positively clunky - and iPad are already on eBay. I honestly can't see myself looking backwards from this purchase.

Liam2349

As you pointed out, the keyboard magnet now blocks swiping up, however you can swipe down from the top bezel for the same effect. Just don't swipe all the way to the bottom or you will close something.

mahdi75

If you run IE from start screen, the modern IE will open.

But to open IE in desktop, just pin IE to taskbar and launch it from there.