What's new

Keyboard and use with a computer screen

elgreco

First of all- HEY! It´s a really great place here to get a lot of important information about the surface - thanks! :)
I am so looking forward to buying a Surface Pro as soon as it is released here in Austria - can´t wait.
The problem is that in my country you can´t get a hands-on experience and you can only see it online.

I am thinking about getting it with a type cover because it will replace my old laptop. My question is, if the keyboard is good enough to be used heavily on a daiy basis or should I just get the touch cover for rare use and a seperate bluetooth keyboard? My concern is that the type cover is "too small" and it will be akward to type on it all the time because there is no space between the letters. How do you see/experience it?

Another thing is that I will connect the surface to a big computer screen while using it as a pc at home. How will that work out while using the type cover? Can you lay the surface down (don´t open the kick-stand) and turn off the surface screen while working with the type cover on the computer screen? Is that possible?

Thanks!

kuodachrome

I got the type cover and started typing on it without any trouble. The size is smaller than my desktop, but it's still comfortable to use. The type cover is not much more expensive, so I think it's worth the risk.

I just tried to make sure and the keyboard still works when you lay the surface down flat without the kickstand.

OP
E

elgreco

I got the type cover and started typing on it without any trouble. The size is smaller than my desktop, but it's still comfortable to use. The type cover is not much more expensive, so I think it's worth the risk.

I just tried to make sure and the keyboard still works when you lay the surface down flat without the kickstand.

Thanks a lot!

Is it also possible to turn the surface screen off while working with the keyboard on the big computer screen in order to safe energy?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Keyboard and use with a computer screen

Just use the option: "second screen only". In this case you'll have to keep your typecover connected, because there's not mouse pointer without and you have to estimate the position via your touchscreen (which is off).

OP
E

elgreco

Just use the option: "second screen only". In this case you'll have to keep your typecover connected, because there's not mouse pointer without and you have to estimate the position via your touchscreen (which is off).

Thanks a lot!

One last question:

Is anyone of you using the surface the way I want to use it (connected to a computer screen)? Any experience with it?
I´m thinking that maybe the space between the keyboard and the screen isn´t big enough for the surface to be layed down completely...I hope you understand what I´m talking about!

R0bR

Why not just use the Surface screen as well in a dual monitor setup? I use a dual monitor setup with my ultrabook running W8 and a larger attached LCD and I wouldn't give it up for just a single monitor.

OP
E

elgreco

Why not just use the Surface screen as well in a dual monitor setup? I use a dual monitor setup with my ultrabook running W8 and a larger attached LCD and I wouldn't give it up for just a single monitor.

Not a bad idea.
I´ll just give it a try as soon as I have the pro!