What's new

keyboard shortcuts (as in the ipad)

cafutter

I am a physician working in an ICU. I currently take notes on my ipad while doing rounds and hearing information from our residents, fellows, nurses etc.. I then use those notes taken to formulate my progress notes in our EMR (electronic medical record). Nothing magic here, I just review and go into our EMR and type my notes. The ipad is a great tablet but it is a lousy word processor (and I have tried many word processing programs for the ipad). One of the good things is does is it has the ability to create typing shortcuts. I will give you some examples:

I put in 3 slashes -> /// and it automatically comes up with mcg/kg/min or if I type "bdg" it automatically inserts bidirection Glenn (a type of cardiac surgery on children) or if I type dex it automatically inserts dexmedetomidine ( a medication whose name is too long to spell easily) . I have crerated about 20 of these shortcuts. This feature obviously saves time and has worked well for me over the past year.

I am very intereted in the Surface (or Surface Pro). I went to the Microsoft kiosk in our local mall and brought my ipad with me. I compared features and software to make a good comparison. The Surface did well.

My question: Does the Surface have the ability to do the shortcuts I mentioned above?

Thanks for your time and help.

Craig

Smitty

Word 2013 has the AutoCorrect feature. Just go to File | Options | Proofing ans click on the AutoCorrect Options button. In the Replace field enter in "///" and in the With field " mcg/kg/min" so now when you type in /// you will get what you are looking for.

OP
C

cafutter

This is what I was looking for except there are some issues which I can work around. In the ipad, 2 slashes meant mg/kg/day, 3 slashes mcg/kg/min 4 slashes mu/kg/min etc. After testing this with word, it automatically corrects for the 2 slashes, so I can't put in 3 of them because it automatically does the 2 and won't let me get to 3 slashes. That is not a big deal. I will just come up with other conventions such as 3 periods or 3 commas etc.

Thanks, That was one of the last hurdles. Now I need to decide to I need the Pro vs the RT.
Craig

Sin

The way I typically handled these in AutoHotKey was to include a space at the end, but Word doesn't like that. You could just use another character after your "/"s to differentiate without triggering the one with less. Hope this helps.

Search tags for this page
.com keyboard shortcut microsoft surface
create shortcut feature ffor surface pro like ipad
four examples of keyboard shortcuts when using word processing program
give 4 example of keyboard shortcut when using word processing program

give 4 examples of keyboard shortcuts when using word processing program

ipad microsoft word shortcuts
microsoft keyboard ipad shortcuts
surface keyboard shortcuts ipad
what are word processing shortcuts on the ipad

Members online