What's new

Lagging Surface Pro 4

GauteAAJ

The fan on my surface Pro 4 is always on when im on the internet. In chrome, edge even. and especially if i watch a single youtube video. Overall the surface feels very slow and laggy. opening a new youtube video can take upto 20 seconds for the page to load, and its not the internet speed thats the problem. and closing tabs will take like 5 seconds before doing it. Also, in the beginning of youtube videos the sound plays just fine, but the screen lags and gets filled with hundreds of small black squares like the picture. Im wondering if its something i can fix, or mabye a defected unit. I really like the surface pro 4 and the consept. it just feels to slow and like a cheap computer more then what it should. And in class taking notes in OneNote i never get more than 3 hours out of the battery, seems a bit lower then the average in here. i dont know of thats also a defect. every driver and software is up to date. I hope someone can know what i can do to fix this, its driving me crazy.
test.jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Gaute

First thing you might want to do is open up task manager, click on more details, and then see if there is something using up all of your systems resources such as CPU and RAM.

That aside, what I would suggest is to do a reset of the device (make sure to backup your documents etc), and then if after a reset the problems persist, then I would get onto livechat with microsoft and I'm pretty sure you'll have a replacement within a few days (depends where you live of course, but in the UK almost everything gets delivered overnight :) )

Philtastic

I agree with hughlle. If your fan is on all of the time, this generally means that something is constantly pushing your CPU. It sounds like you have a renegade program running amok on your system. Clearing that should fix your problem but doing a system refresh should also do the trick.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fan on my surface Pro 4 is always on when im on the internet. In chrome, edge even. and especially if i watch a single youtube video. Overall the surface feels very slow and laggy. opening a new youtube video can take upto 20 seconds for the page to load, and its not the internet speed thats the problem. and closing tabs will take like 5 seconds before doing it. Also, in the beginning of youtube videos the sound plays just fine, but the screen lags and gets filled with hundreds of small black squares like the picture. Im wondering if its something i can fix, or mabye a defected unit. I really like the surface pro 4 and the consept. it just feels to slow and like a cheap computer more then what it should. And in class taking notes in OneNote i never get more than 3 hours out of the battery, seems a bit lower then the average in here. i dont know of thats also a defect. every driver and software is up to date. I hope someone can know what i can do to fix this, its driving me crazy. View attachment 8462

I agree with the other statements in regards to your RAM and fans. Checking your Task Manager for anything hogging up resources should tell you what (if anything) is the culprit. If the Task Manager doesn't render any defining results, I'd definitely do a reset after backing your files up. Your machine should feel far from a cheap, slow computer .

I believe you have a bad installation of Windows. I do know that at the factory, the hard drives are pre-loaded, and to get a "pass" from Quality Control, the hard drive only needs a green light prior to being installed into the machine itself. So once a machine is un-boxed and turned on, the remaining files are installed. I've been in the PC/Tech industry for 25+ years and I have set up my share of machines from ground zero and the un-boxing phase as well. I have seen just about everything - and yes, I have seen many flawed Windows installations.

If resetting does not do the trick for you, get with me via the conversation utility, and I will be happy to walk you through setting up a USB Drive to install Windows 10. I have a tendency to beat a dead horse, so I will stop here. But I am glad to help if you need it.