What's new

LTE or not LTE?

LTE or not LTE

• Total voters

JimB

To be or not to be. That's the question. To be means another data bill that you will forced to pay. I personally prefer to use my Phone as a modem and pay for just one bill.

Grandfathered AT&T unlimited plans do not allow this. LTE will allow those of us with that plan to get a $10 month plan like with the Ipad.

daveyp

T-Mobile does offer 200MB of data for free for tablets, which is enough for emails and occasional light browsing. I currently get 1GB of LTE for free through freedompop for my "emergency" needs (plus 1GB more for free if I need it), so If I do grab a surface 3, LTE will be a tough decision.

CrippsCorner

Absolutely agree, in this day and age tethering is the only way imo!

Why people want another bill is beyond me. Back in the days I had to jailbreak my iPhone to allow tethering, so I would understand why the general public wouldn't go that route, but hey, things have moved on and certainly here in the UK it's now allowed on all networks (some even have infinite downloads)

bluegrass

I get 2 gig with my AT&T wireless account. I think the next step up costs quite a bit more. I don't think I've come close to using my 2 gig data allotment just using my phone but I can imagine using up that 2 gig pretty quick if I start tethering my Surface Pro 3 to my phone. Anyone have some experience of how much data they use with tethering their Surface to their phone? I've never looked up what LTE service would cost.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Why people want another bill is beyond me ...

Broaden your thinking beyond the singular consumer. :). Many corporate clients wish to outfit employees, stationary or traveling, with a connected computing and communication device. Tethering and public WiFi and Hotspot solutions are more complex, require more equipment, and have extra security challenges.

Apple's cellular connected iPad is a fabulously successful example of this.

bluegrass

Thanks Colorado. Your example is exactly what has taken place where I work. I guess the lack of LTE is the one downside to replacing the laptop/ipad combination with s Surface Pro 3, which is starting to happen with some of our traveling workforce. Is there a typical cost for an LTE data plan? I take it you're still at the mercy of having a good cellular connection. Would be great if someone would come up with a good fast portable satellite connection to the Internet.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
We do have people working in remote areas (earth science) with satellite communications attached to vehicles / in portable sachels.

malberttoo

Broaden your thinking beyond the singular consumer. :). Many corporate clients wish to outfit employees, stationary or traveling, with a connected computing and communication device. Tethering and public WiFi and Hotspot solutions are more complex, require more equipment, and have extra security challenges.

Apple's cellular connected iPad is a fabulously successful example of this.
Thanks Colorado. Your example is exactly what has taken place where I work. I guess the lack of LTE is the one downside to replacing the laptop/ipad combination with s Surface Pro 3, which is starting to happen with some of our traveling workforce. Is there a typical cost for an LTE data plan? I take it you're still at the mercy of having a good cellular connection. Would be great if someone would come up with a good fast portable satellite connection to the Internet.

The counterpoint to that is my workplace, where we are provided with smartphones (iPhones mostly) and expected to tether in the field...

@bluegrass I would bet that the next 5 to 10 years would bring some interesting changes with regard to global connectivity, negating the need for satellite-based Internet in many places. The stuff Google is working on right now is especially interesting.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to trudge all the way to university for an internet fix, i would kill for 4g, although i would rather it on my sp3 than this.

The issue is that most modern phone contracts only support x gb of data over a hotspot (in the UK it seems to be capped at 4gb for most carriers). It is also frustrating that i can get unlimited data on a phone sim for about £17 a month (including unlimited texts and hundreds of minutes) yet the best i can find for a tablet sim is £15 a month for 10gb, can't find anything with unlimited use, or £16 a month for a 5gb 4g dongle. Stop screwing us around and give us a real mobile internet option! It wouldnm'#t make any sense for me to get yet another bill and contract, might as well just get the mobile phone contract and have the 4gb of tethering.

bluegrass

I have to trudge all the way to university for an internet fix, i would kill for 4g, although i would rather it on my sp3 than this.

Am I mistaken or does 4g just mean the 4th generation cellular and has nothing to do with LTE which gives you direct cellular connection using a computer device such as one of the versions of the new Surface 3 coming down the pike. I assume there was also a 3g LTE.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Am I mistaken or does 4g just mean the 4th generation cellular and has nothing to do with LTE which gives you direct cellular connection using a computer device such as one of the versions of the new Surface 3 coming down the pike. I assume there was also a 3g LTE.
LTE or Long Term Evolution is how most 4G Networks operate at least for GSM Carriers (and most CDMA), they are marketed together as 4G LTE, but according to the ITU it isn't a true 4G technology (the same is said for WiMAX that Sprint attempted). If the LTE in question is using the LTE Advanced Standard, then it is True 4G...

I hope that clears it up ;)