What's new

Macgirl here, considering dumping my Mac and ipad for a SP3

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a self build windows desktop which is 2 years old but still a high spec piece of kit which cost me about £700 to build., it has gone wrong once, with a corrupt driver which meant I had to reinstall windows which was a pain as I didn't have a disc image or back up.. (I backed up my files byt not my windows install). I am tempted to upgrade from win 7 now though as I'm missing some features that I love on the SP3..

Having said all that the new 5k imac is extremely tempting and for the type of screen not actually a bad price (screens anything like that for PC's can easily cost ££££ or $$$$) however the actual spec of the imac in terms of hardware is similar or slightly lower than my current desktop.. at least the base model. It's still very tempting though (I can't do it, not after spending ££££ on the SP3... and in my world I'd rather have the SP3 and my desktop than an imac and no SP3...)

Oh and I never use my Nexus 7 tablet any more... and it annoys me that it only lasts a couple of days unless I shut it down properly...

Li Yifeng

My SP3 has replaced MBP AIR, but not iPad. The mainly reason is that the Apple's APPs are better than MS's.

Last edited:

Liam2349

I have a self build windows desktop which is 2 years old but still a high spec piece of kit which cost me about £700 to build., it has gone wrong once, with a corrupt driver which meant I had to reinstall windows which was a pain as I didn't have a disc image or back up.. (I backed up my files byt not my windows install). I am tempted to upgrade from win 7 now though as I'm missing some features that I love on the SP3..

Having said all that the new 5k imac is extremely tempting and for the type of screen not actually a bad price (screens anything like that for PC's can easily cost ££££ or $$$$) however the actual spec of the imac in terms of hardware is similar or slightly lower than my current desktop.. at least the base model. It's still very tempting though (I can't do it, not after spending ££££ on the SP3... and in my world I'd rather have the SP3 and my desktop than an imac and no SP3...)

Oh and I never use my Nexus 7 tablet any more... and it annoys me that it only lasts a couple of days unless I shut it down properly...

Personally, I see just about zero reasons to buy desktop computers that are stored in a monitor and can't be upgraded. My uni has loads of them for space reasons, but for home users, get the 5k monitor from Dell and build the PC.

InspectHerGadget

I think screen resolution is nice to have other things being equal such as not causing scaling issues or costing too much. In the scheme of things though I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog. It just isn't that important especially at normal viewing distances.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
TBH it was a whim.. I went and specced one up to be higher hardware spec than my current PC ... nearly £3000... ouch!!
My desktop is fine TBH I never use all it's performance... though actually I wouldn't' mind replacing my 22" monitor (I have a 22 normal 1080 and a 27" ultrasharp 1920 x 1200) wiht a touch screen monitor as I often find I go to scroll pages on my second screen with my finger...LOL damned Surface has ruined everything!

As a photographer a higher res screen would be nice to see extra detail. I do notice it on the Surface, even though the screen is smaller the extra detail in the resolution is very nice.

Hi,
Just like yourself I ditched a MacBook Pro and iPad with an SP3 and now I would not go back. It just fits my requirements so well, it is the all in one device for my work and home use requirements.

The device fits my usage so well that I actually ditched a 15in rMBP in favour of this machine. Nothing bad to say about the rMBP in and of itself but I just find I get things done so much faster with this device.

At the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy (I myself would not even fathom it 6 months ago) but as good as the SP3 is now, the work they're doing with Windows 10 in theory should elevate it to heights Apple will struggle to emulate for a long time. Win 10 sounds on paper like it should be the home run they're looking for and a system seller for hybrid devices like this.

Amen to that. After having Microsoft inflicted upon me through various companies over the years, I went out and purchased a MBA several years back. Added an iMac to that, then upgraded to top spec MBA, every one of the iPads ever made too. After lurking on this forum for a month or so I took the plunge. Sold the MBA and iPad Air to purchase the SP3 i5 8G 256 and, boy, I haven't looked back. There is nothing that I could do on the iPad and MBA that I can't do on the SP3, and a hell of a lot more I can do on the SP3 than the other two. Totally sold. In fact, so much so now, that I'm considering going Win Phone when I upgrade next month rather than iPhone 6+.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amen to that. After having Microsoft inflicted upon me through various companies over the years, I went out and purchased a MBA several years back. Added an iMac to that, then upgraded to top spec MBA, every one of the iPads ever made too. After lurking on this forum for a month or so I took the plunge. Sold the MBA and iPad Air to purchase the SP3 i5 8G 256 and, boy, I haven't looked back. There is nothing that I could do on the iPad and MBA that I can't do on the SP3, and a hell of a lot more I can do on the SP3 than the other two. Totally sold. In fact, so much so now, that I'm considering going Win Phone when I upgrade next month rather than iPhone 6+.
Don't forget the Band. Combine the SP3 + Windows Phone 8.1 + The Band you've got a party! :D

Russ

Leeshor --
Windows Easy Transfer wizard cannot originate a transfer in Windows 8.1. It can only receive a transfer originated in Win8 or lower. I just discovered this a few days ago when preparing to set up a new SP3. It appears that Microsoft just quietly dropped that support in 8.1. I ended up buying PC Mover Pro.
Regards,
Russ

malberttoo

Leeshor --
Windows Easy Transfer wizard cannot originate a transfer in Windows 8.1. It can only receive a transfer originated in Win8 or lower. I just discovered this a few days ago when preparing to set up a new SP3. It appears that Microsoft just quietly dropped that support in 8.1. I ended up buying PC Mover Pro.
Regards,
Russ

Some info on the missing Easy Transfer stuff in 8.1...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/26...ystery-of-windows-8-1-s-missing-features.html