What's new

Metro Skype started video freezing during calls

cemian

Hello,
Wasn't a problem before but now coincidentally after a large optional update last night the video side of the video calls are freezing each time I try. The audio part still works and the call stays connected but both video windows stay frozen. Initially the video works when first connected but freezes shortly after with camera light stuck on. Any one else experiencing this?

OP
C

cemian

Seems like a couple shut downs and restarts did the trick... least Skype is working with video calls for now...

malberttoo

Hello,
Wasn't a problem before but now coincidentally after a large optional update last night the video side of the video calls are freezing each time I try. The audio part still works and the call stays connected but both video windows stay frozen. Initially the video works when first connected but freezes shortly after with camera light stuck on. Any one else experiencing this?

Try uninstalling the update and see if that fixes it...

kundas1

Could it be not the SP3 and maybe perhaps it's your internet provider having trouble with it's service? perhaps it's coincidence that the video is freezing from internet slow speeds, maybe try doing a speed test?

maloo78

I've had the same issue, just minus the reboot required. Skype Metro and the Surface Pro 3 cams seem to have a conflict. With my Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 there have never been (and still aren't) any issues on the same pc and same internet connection.

What works though, is to use the Skype Web plugin! Go to your Outlook.com on the IE desktop browser and connect your Skype account. Now when you click on the chat icon in your webmail, it should also show your Skype contacts. Here I did a 2 hour call via Skype with the built-in camera without any issues. Same contact, same internet line, same computer... I assume it's a software coding issue, so we have to wait for the Skype support to figure it out.

kundas1

yes but what you have to understand is that it only happens on YOUR device, I Skype with my SP3 all the time and no problems... dunno maybe gotta look into whats causing the problem on your device...

maloo78

Yeah, maybe I should have studied IT after all... am not a complete dummy when it comes to computers, but by far not an expert. Maybe I have an app installed that causes a conflict, but how to figure that out I do not know.
It seems I just have to limit myself to skyping on the web.

kundas1

oh! also I forgot to mention, make sure you un-install Skype that came with the SP3 and download and install the newer version from MS, I find it works better...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run Task Manager Or Resource Monitor displaying network graph in the background during a call when it slows or freezes check your network throughput. Also do an Internet speed test several times to see how its behaving. Things are not always what they seem. Look to see CPU utilization as well you may have a process using a lot of resources starving Skype.