What's new

Metro UI Photo App not seeing SDCard Photo Library?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Oops not out of the woods yet. Music is working fine but Pictures are still borked. It is showing any pictures I have in the root of my Pictures folder, but any subfolders are just grayed out and it says they are empty. So it can't read subfolders?

The subfolders are showing up fine in my Pictures library. Huh.

bertopl

subfolders are showing up on mine. I think I had to rename my "Pictures" folder to "Photos" if I remember right.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I seem to remember similar problems until I inserted an additional folder on the sd card. So on the sdcard I have two folders, sd_card_pictures\photos_sdcard
Then I have a folder for each similar grouping of picture.
sd_cardshare is on the root of c drive and shared with the pictured library.

On c drive I see.... C:\SD_CardShare\SD_Card_Pictures\Photos_SDCard
In the pictures lib I see starting at sd_card_pictures
The app picks up all my sd card pictures.
I think that's how I did it.

subfolders are showing up on mine. I think I had to rename my "Pictures" folder to "Photos" if I remember right.

Or put a Photos folder inside the pictures folder it appears :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Huh that's weird. Where did you change the name, on the SDCard or in the User Folder at the symbolic link? Did you have to adjust libraries for the new name? I tried changing the SDcard name to Photos and when I linked it again to the User Folder it called it Pictures. Who knows, confusing.

bertopl

I'm not 100% sure on the order I did things but I believe I first formatted the sd card. I created three folders on the card, Skydrive, Dropbox and Music. I created a folder on C: called SD and mounted the card to point to the C:\SD folder. i installed Dropbox and Skydrive and chose C:\SD\Dropbox and C:\SD\Skydrive as my sync folders when I installed Dropbox and Skydrive. I sync'd Skydrive which contains Documents, Photos and Videos. I don't sync the Music folder to any service since the folder is way too big for the space I have on either Dropbox or Skydrive so I just copied all my music to that folder manually. after my Skydrive sync'ed all the files, I went to Libraries and right-clicked on Documents, Music, Photos, and Videos and added a new location. I chose C:\SD\Skydrive\Documents, C:\SD\Music, C:\SD\Skydrive\Photos and C:\SD\Skydrive\Videos as the new locations, set those paths as the default locations and moved it to the top of the list. I removed all other paths except the "public" paths. I now have all my documents and media show up in their corresponding libraries, all apps can see the media in those locations, and all Documents, Photos and Videos are sync'ing from my Skydrive account and writing to the SD card without taking up any room on the C: drive. it's a thing of beauty really.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

So it looks as if you went with the mounting method as opposed to symbolic links and it worked for you. I pretty much did what you did but didn't work. The symbolic linking made my music show up but not my photos.

Did you first format your sdcard as NTFS?

bertopl

nope, no symbolic links for me. I happened to choose exFAT when I formatted, but I don't see why NTFS wouldn't work either. I read a little bit about exFAT vs NTFS and apparently, exFAT was geared for small removable media such as SD cards so that's what I happened to choose.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

nope, no symbolic links for me. I happened to choose exFAT when I formatted, but I don't see why NTFS wouldn't work either. I read a little bit about exFAT vs NTFS and apparently, exFAT was geared for small removable media such as SD cards so that's what I happened to choose.

Huh, I'll have to try exFat then. Maybe the NTFS on an SDCard borks it? Thanks.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok update. Tried exFAT and that seemed to do the trick on my Photos and Music so yay! Using the mounting method now and SDCard is happily holding all my libraries.

Ok, now here's the problem. I deleted some folders in my Pictures folder on my SDcard, but when I opened the Photo app the folders were STILL THERE? WTF? How can it be seeing something which does not exist? There doesn't seem to be any way to refresh the folders or delete folders within the Photos app. As with most of the Windows 8 Metro apps the user basically has no control over much of anything. Someone tell MS this sucks please. Stop trying to be Apple.