What's new

Microsoft Apologises for Accidentally Releasing Wrong Windows 10 Update

Maura

Microsoft apologies for releasing wrong Windows update.JPG

Tech Radar reports that Microsoft has issued an apology today for accidentally releasing Windows 10 test builds before they were ready. The builds included several for mobile, and just one, numbered 16212, for PC and mobile.

What made the matter even worse was that the early builds were pushed out not just to Windows Insiders, but also to general Windows 10 users who were not part of the testing program and who had already installed the Creators Update.

Dona Sarker, software engineer at Windows and Devices Group, said “If you are not a Windows Insider, your device may have seen one of these builds offered. However, these builds will not install on devices that are not joined to the Windows Insider Program (a.k.a. ‘retail’).”

Thankfully, the unfinished PC builds are not especially damaging to the computers of anyone that might unwittingly try to install them, so nothing major to worry about there. The mobile builds are another matter, however, as attempting to install them on a device will trigger a reboot loop that can’t be stopped without using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

Sources: Microsoft apologizes after rogue Windows 10 builds cause confusion (and worse) | TechRadar

A note about the unintentional release of builds today - Windows Experience Blog

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I thank Microsoft for somehow not involving my machines.

But now I want 16212. Do me! Do me!

kristalsoldier

I turned off auto updates for 7 days. I am assuming the Insiders Team will issue a statement when it is ok to update. But what I wonder is about the definition updates for Defender.

MickeyLittle

I turned off auto updates for 7 days. I am assuming the Insiders Team will issue a statement when it is ok to update. But what I wonder is about the definition updates for Defender.

I know I'm a little different but I manually check for updates daily and there were none for my Surface Book Friday, Saturday, or this morning so Microsoft apparently pulled this update immediately upon recognizing their mistake.

kristalsoldier

I know I'm a little different but I manually check for updates daily and there were none for my Surface Book Friday, Saturday, or this morning so Microsoft apparently pulled this update immediately upon recognizing their mistake.

OK well maybe I should have done that too!!!