What's new

Microsoft Complete Care Walk-In vs Dell Support

mtalinm

I have had mostly wonderful experiences with MS Complete. On-the-spot replacement with no questions asked, generally. At least that is for Surface; I don't know whether they would have all other models in stock.

They did bungle a Surface 2 swap by giving me a DOA refurb. But that has been the exception. otherwise great.

I have had mostly wonderful experiences with MS Complete. On-the-spot replacement with no questions asked, generally. At least that is for Surface; I don't know whether they would have all other models in stock.

They did bungle a Surface 2 swap by giving me a DOA refurb. But that has been the exception. otherwise great.

great!!!

me and violet182 and some other customers were just the exception.We were unlucky.It is our mistake for being unlucky!!!
microsoft support is the best (says microsoft)and if some customers are out of luck and they do not have a tablet for 20 days microsoft is not responsible.

another support rep (not Jamie of course) after i made a complaint about waiting 20 days without a tablet said to me that it is only 18 days and not 20!!!

we can do nothing right now!we must all wait for the decision of the escalation team which is trying hard to figure out what went wrong!!!this was the response of the support rep(not Jamie of course)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
great!!!

me and violet182 and some other customers were just the exception.We were unlucky.It is our mistake for being unlucky!!!
microsoft support is the best (says microsoft)and if some customers are out of luck and they do not have a tablet for 20 days microsoft is not responsible.

another support rep (not Jamie of course) after i made a complaint about waiting 20 days without a tablet said to me that it is only 18 days and not 20!!!
I understand your frustration, Take to twitter, "@ surface" and "@Panos_Panay" (Panos Panay - VP in charge of the Surface Team) tend to be very active, or even Microsoft Greece (look up the Twitter Handle). The days of needing to use traditional escalation channels is over....use all of the resources available to you...

VickiFL

Maybe I am fortunate that I live in the U.S. and have 2 Microsoft Stores within 20 miles of my home. I've noticed that dealing with Microsoft over the phone can be iffy, but in the store it's excellent.

I'm going to copy and paste this from another post I made here in the forum. This is my own personal experience.

Yesterday, I had to jump up quickly, and I accidentally pulled out the power plug from the SP3. The SP3 did not fall, and I was just surfing the web and listening to Pandora (via the web, not app) when it happened. When I came back to plug my SP3 back in, the screen was black. That concerned me, so I tried to turn it back on, every way possible. All I kept getting was a black screen with words I honestly can't remember, with instructions.

I called Microsoft support, and they tried to help me, but could not get past that black screen either, or get Windows to boot up. So, they made me an immediate appointment at my Microsoft Store, and we drove right there. Upon arrival, their technician also could not get Windows to boot up. They knew the whole story via the Microsoft tech on the phone, who called them personally to make sure they had a replacement SP3 for me, just in case.

He told me that they were just going to replace the SP3 for me, and I do have a Complete plan. (I have had my new SP3 about a month, so not long) They asked me where I bought it, and I told them Amazon, and they asked me if I was sure. I said absolutely, let me show you. I signed onto my Amazon account, but I didn't realize I didn't buy it directly from Amazon, but from a seller named "E Trust."

That didn't matter to them, they still replaced my SP3, and were so nice and helpful. We were there for a good while (almost 1 1/2 hours), including setting up my new SP3. They offered us beverages, and helped with everything while our daughter played Minecraft on the XBox One. Now, my SP3 is on file as purchased at the Microsoft Store, and I have a new receipt.

What is disconcerting is they found out that this "E Trust" seller has been committing fraud! He is selling every model of SP3 that he bought from Microsoft with an educational discount, and then re-selling them at full price! Saying they were very upset was an understatement. One person was on the phone with Microsoft already planning on how they are going to deal with this seller. At one point I heard him say, "damn, you're right, tomorrow is Sunday." They are definitely not sitting on this and I imagine Monday is not going to be a good day for this seller, or Amazon.

Long story, I know, but I wanted to post it to show that not everyone has a bad experience with Microsoft. Plus, we exposed a seller committing fraud, so big win for Microsoft. I hope they nail this guy to the wall. I cannot stand thieves. I also can't believe he thought he could get away with it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand your frustration, Take to twitter, "@ surface" and "@Panos_Panay" (Panos Panay - VP in charge of the Surface Team) tend to be very active, or even Microsoft Greece (look up the Twitter Handle). The days of needing to use traditional escalation channels is over....use all of the resources available to you...
Excellent suggestion.

lonaysta

Good idea. I posted a picture of all my Surface Pro 3 product packing from Microsoft (2 SP3s, 2 type covers, 2 official screen protectors, one docking station, one HDMI converter, one power supply) at @surface, they were happy to see it and wanted to see a picture of my finished setting with all these products. However I then tweet to them saying "hey you've got an unresolved support case with me!"

OP
C

chanukya

Thank you everyone, very helpful. I will return the Dell and keep the Surface. In the Bay Area we have 2 stores in the vicinity so I can always take it in with an in-store appt.

Another big plus is that Costco is now selling Surface 3. With the 90-day return policy and their willingness to take back any lemons I think I'll return my Surface from the Microsoft store and pick it up at Costco instead. I believe we can add complete care even if we buy from a different location, so I'll just add complete care afterwards.

johnj2803

I have had great experience with Dell support.

I have a dell venue 11 pro that had several issues. I sent it in twice and the device was repaired fairly quickly 5-7 business days. I had a problem with the dell stylus and they just replaced it after a call. All this happening there were a couple of calls to dell tech support and they were able to solve some software and driver issues that I was experiencing.

I had great experience in all of them. I think I had a bad product that needed their attention which they provided. Now my dell machine can be as reliable as my surface pro 3. I think Dell had QC issues. Good thing their support was great.

Emmanouil Bagiartakis I have had the same thing happen to me!
My surface pro 3 was freezing every 3 seconds then catching up. Tried restore etc: no dice.
So they organised for me to send it in for replacement.
Sent mine on 13th of oct
they received mine at the service centre 16th oct
now 28th of october and still have not received a shipping notification of the replacement

"Jamie" escalated me on Friday as well. I am waiting 2-3 business days for them to "look" at it.
But I was told they are "out of stock" at the service centre.

So frustrated. Mine was only 3 weeks old.

did you have any response from microsoft?

i did not

i am also frustrated not only with not having a tablet but also with the lies they say

for example 1 week ago a support rep(not Jamie of course) said to me that my device will be shipped today (22-oct)(1 week ago).I asked him how he knew it and he said he can see it in their system...Jamie is not lying .He said "i can tell you that there is a delay"

as i have said surface pro 3 is the best device i have ever used and i have used a lot of tablets,i have also bought iPad air however only with surface pro 3 i can annotate my pdf books and write notes on them.i have also tried to use surface pro 1 however i cannot.

nevertheless microsoft should not be very proud of all these lies to customers

i am waiting 19 days for a replacement device!!!

part of my conversation with microsoft support,today:

Michael B: at 12:17:19

I am sorry, but I dont know. The escalation team is the people who would know this. All I can do, is to inform you what is the info the escalation team provide me with. I am really sorry about that

Emmanouil Bagiartakis: at 12:31:36

how many more days a customer must wait for a replacement device from microsoft support?please answer this question!it is important

Michael B: at 12:32:24

I know it is important, but I unfortunately do not have an answer. I wish I had, but I am sorry, I dont have an answer for you

Emmanouil Bagiartakis: at 12:33:41

you are working on microsoft support and you cannot say to me how many more days i must wait?It is a secret?

Emmanouil Bagiartakis: at 12:33:51

or a security issue?

can you say to me when the escalation will inform me?

Michael B: at 12:42:24

I am sorry, but I dont know how I to answer that. I cant say when somebody else will come with an update.

violet182

did you have any response from microsoft?

All I got was an email response from the care team saying they are in the USA (I am in UK) and there is a time difference. And that he will "keep me updated" and he has requested an update on when my surface will be shipped?!?

I am supposed to be attending an animation conference that I need to work on my showreel for. I have no digital way of drawing currently.

I completely understand your frustration. I basically live chat hassle them every day. I also tweeted @surface but didn't really get a response.
You know a certain fruit company has a policy that if they have your computer for an "unreasonable length of time" they will just give you a new one. Like if you have to wait for a part for 2 weeks or so.

Microsoft have plenty of new surfaces, just not refurbed ones.
Try posting on the official surface support forum. Usually a microsoft rep has to reply to everyone who complains on there. I got a reply....not sure if he did what he said he would.

All I got was an email response from the care team saying they are in the USA (I am in UK) and there is a time difference. And that he will "keep me updated" and he has requested an update on when my surface will be shipped?!?

I am supposed to be attending an animation conference that I need to work on my showreel for. I have no digital way of drawing currently.

I completely understand your frustration. I basically live chat hassle them every day. I also tweeted @surface but didn't really get a response.
You know a certain fruit company has a policy that if they have your computer for an "unreasonable length of time" they will just give you a new one. Like if you have to wait for a part for 2 weeks or so.

Microsoft have plenty of new surfaces, just not refurbed ones.
Try posting on the official surface support forum. Usually a microsoft rep has to reply to everyone who complains on there. I got a reply....not sure if he did what he said he would.
as far as twitter goes, i have sent a lot of tweets to surface and panos panay:

1. Bagiartakis ‏@BagiartakisEm 2m2 minutes ago
    @surface i talked again with microsoft support.I asked a support agent:how many more days a customer must wait for a replacement device?

2. Bagiartakis ‏@BagiartakisEm 17s18 seconds ago
    @surface agent's answer:Michael B:unfortunately do not have an answer. I wish I had, but I am sorry, I dont have an answer for yo
    1. Bagiartakis ‏@BagiartakisEm 22h22 hours ago
      @surface i am waiting for a replacement surface pro 3 the last 20 days.How many days your support team needs to send a replacement device?

2. Surface ‏@surface 16h16 hours ago
      @BagiartakisEm We don't have that information on our end. Have you tried reaching out to them via email?
      1. @surface i have explained that i have bought the device for my exams in 3 weeks and their response was that they are sorry!

Bagiartakis ‏@BagiartakisEm 16h16 hours ago
      2. @surface they also told me that microsoft support is the best and i was just unlucky!
      Bagiartakis ‏@BagiartakisEm now
      @surface if you cannot support customers for a product there is no reason to have a Twitter page for this product.

@surface i have spoken with every support rep in microsoft the last 18 days.they are all very sorry!

i have sent a tweet to panos panay.

i cannot use tweeter

is the first time i am using it.you cannot send a message if someone does not follow you

@MicrosoftUK @panos_panay @pcpro panos i am waiting 20 days microsoft support to send me a replacement device.
@panos_panay send a surface to me in Greece to replace my surface (not my laptop).I am waiting support 20 days for a replacement device!!!

Last edited: