What's new

Microsoft Surface Parental Control Question

Longstone

Daughter got a surface rt for her birthday from the grandparents. I've created her an account on it with family safety enabled. But 2 questions:

How do I block the store or prevent her from making purchases (I had to add my credit card information to her account).

Is there a way for me to "gift" an item in the store? If I log onto the surface with my account and purchase it, the app doesn't show up when she is logged on. Is it supposed to? Is there a way to?

oion

Endorsay

Daughter got a surface rt for her birthday from the grandparents. I've created her an account on it with family safety enabled. But 2 questions:

How do I block the store or prevent her from making purchases (I had to add my credit card information to her account).

When you have Store app running, activate the Settings charm and then choose "Your account". In the "Payment and billing info" section, make sure "Always ask for your password when buying an app" is Yes. I think Yes is already the default, so you are protected.

Endorsay

Is there a way for me to "gift" an item in the store? If I log onto the surface with my account and purchase it, the app doesn't show up when she is logged on. Is it supposed to? Is there a way to?

This should work:
1. Login to Surface as your daughter's account
2. Run the Store app
3. Activate the Settings charm and choose "Your account".
4. Enter your account that you purchased apps with
5. Make sure the option that requires password when buying apps is 'yes'.
6. In Store app, browse to app you already bought and it should allow you to Install.

So basically the Surface is using your daughter's account, but for the Store it is using your account.

Last edited: