What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Platinum 1 Tb Newest Model difference?

Antrix

Hello to all! I was going to buy this device, but I came across the fact that I can’t understand the difference between two seemingly identical models - platinum 1 tb and platinum 1 tb newest version. What is their difference? Which of them has a more powerful processor (
i7-3960x vs i7-8650u) and what are the other differences? I can not find any detailed information.

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

Hello to all! I was going to buy this device, but I came across the fact that I can’t understand the difference between two seemingly identical models - platinum 1 tb and platinum 1 tb newest version. What is their difference? Which of them has a more powerful processor (
i7-3960x vs i7-8650u) and what are the other differences? I can not find any detailed information.

According to the Intel website, the i7-3960x is the slower processor and is discontinued. It had a 15mb cache, but only a 3.90 ghz turbo. The i7-8950u has only 8mb cache, but a 4.20ghz turbo. Also, the 8950 is not discontinued like the 3960 is.

3960 was introduced in 2011 and is now discontinued
8950 was introduced in 2017 and is currently still being made by Intel.

That may be why it's being sold as "newest version" due to the newer version CPU.