What's new

Mini DisplayPort on new docking station doesn't work

RWerksman

I ordered in an i3 for testing (we're planning on deploying 40 or so) and it works perfectly with all cables, with all monitors, including all adapters. A replacement Surface i5 is on the way. We'll see if that manages to work right - I'm suspecting it will.

agt499

I ordered in an i3 for testing (we're planning on deploying 40 or so) and it works perfectly with all cables, with all monitors, including all adapters. A replacement Surface i5 is on the way. We'll see if that manages to work right - I'm suspecting it will.
So with reference to your original issue, your i5 worked OK direct from the device, but not from the dock (per your initial post #36 on this thread), and the i3 you've received for testing works both from the device and from the same dock that didn't work with the i5? Is that right - or have you had a mix of i5s that do/don't work with the dock.
-Remember the i3 has a difference Graphics chipset (4200 vs 4400 in the i5)

My colleagues i7 and dock are sitting in a box on his desk unopened while he's out of town - should provide another data point tomorrow!

RWerksman

Replacement Surface arrived, and it works PERFECT. Received it, ran through all Windows updates rebooting after each group, and plugged it in. No issues so far. Behavior mimics the i3 that we received yesterday.

FWIW, there are slight differences between my launch day Surface (that is going back) and this one. The hinge is much less tight (not loose) and the image appears to be different with the inclusion of Fresh Paint and Flipboard by default.

Anyway, if you're having this issue, you ABSOLUTELY want to get a replacement. No combinations of cables or adapters is going to work, IMHO.

mitchellvii

I think there is room in the market for an aftermarket (and MUCH less expensive) SP3 docking station solution assuming there is nothing secret and proprietary about the data bus connection the SP3 uses. Give me vga/dvi/hdmi out with a hinged base and I'd be all over it.

IMHO, MS overcharged and under-delivered on this model. How could they be smart enough to listen to us on the kickstand and then give us the same damned angle (that everyone hated) from the SP1 on the dock? Too much form, too little functionality.

agt499

A further testing point for anyone interested:
We just received a single dock, and have tested it with my i5 and my colleagues i7.
The i5 and i7 work the same display wise, and they both work slightly differently with the dock minidisplayport out compared to directly from the device minidisplayport out.

Specifically, the device minidisplayport out will concurrently drive:
  1. Device Screen
  2. Dell U2414H from device minidisplayport out
  3. Second Dell U2414H using displayport MST chaining off the first
  4. An extra Asus MB168+ Displaylink/USB monitor
I've been running this for a few days and it's solid.
However, the dock minidisplayport out will only drive:
  1. Device Screen
  2. Dell U2414H from device minidisplayport out
    and only one of
  3. Second Dell U2414H using displayport MST chaining off the first
    or
    Asus MB168+ Displaylink/USB monitor
This would again indicate that the bus driving the dock's display output is not identical to the one on the device, which is consistent with the experience other have had.

The really good news for me is that yes, the dock will happily drive the two Dells with MST chaining. Given the table MS published last week , http://blog.surface.com/2014/08/surfacepro3dock-canada-us/ it read as if it wouldn't.
So at the very least for my unit the dock can work as elegantly as it looks.
NB The Asus USB is really for luggable multi-screen, hence I won't be losing sleep if the dock can't drive all 4 at once. Had to try it though!

Enrico D.

Surface Pro 3 docking station + STARTECH minidisplay port to DVI-D ACTIVE adapter model Startech.com MDP2DVID

I took just the most popular/sold active adaptor to avoid any doubt about the set up.......

I connected my 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor LG W3000 that has only the dual-d dvi out and not the display port like the dell 30 inch.

Result?

1. if I connect to the docking 3 (trought the adaptor of course), there is a "flickering", this is very annoying because it happen each 10 seconds or so... so impossible to work or handle it

2. if I connect the startech adaptor directly to the mini display port on the surface pro 3, everything is ok, I never seen this flickering or micro disconnections, black screen etc.

At the first point I was thinking that was a problem of the usb that was not able to give the power to the adaptor, then I was thinking that was a firmware problem of my monitor that was for windows 7 not 8.1 ... may be some software problem, etc etc

then I found this forum and was clear the issue, I tested directly the adaptor on the surface and it works.

So the dockingstation is not usefull for me and was better spend money on a usb hub.... even cheaper.

What to do now? to return it? if it is an hardware issue no way that microsoft can fix our units correct?

thanks

Enrico D.

DELL 30 inch owners, because your monitor is one of the most popular 30 inch 2560x1600 I would like to know if one of all of you had the same issue and was not able to use the monitor because of flickering/black screen/micro disconnection if the monitor was connected to the docking station.

This because while LG W3000 has only the dvi-d port and we have to use the adapters mini display port to dvi-d may be you that with DELL direct mini displayport to displayport cables do not need an adapter were more lucky.

Very important for me to know this, will make it clear if the docking do not work at all.......... or still with some monitor or set up it is working.

I just read that some of you was not able to power at all the monitor from the docking, but the key point is not that, for all of us that were able we get disturbs like flickering, black screen, micro disconnection between monitor/dock each xx seconds, so we are able to see the monitor but we can't use it... the connection it's not stable.

Sorry for my english...... I hope you understood the point. Thanks a lot for your help.

agt499

DELL 30 inch owners, because your monitor is one of the most popular 30 inch 2560x1600 I would like to know if one of all of you had the same issue and was not able to use the monitor because of flickering/black screen/micro disconnection if the monitor was connected to the docking station.

This because while LG W3000 has only the dvi-d port and we have to use the adapters mini display port to dvi-d may be you that with DELL direct mini displayport to displayport cables do not need an adapter were more lucky.

Very important for me to know this, will make it clear if the docking do not work at all.......... or still with some monitor or set up it is working.

I just read that some of you was not able to power at all the monitor from the docking, but the key point is not that, for all of us that were able we get disturbs like flickering, black screen, micro disconnection between monitor/dock each xx seconds, so we are able to see the monitor but we can't use it... the connection it's not stable.

Sorry for my english...... I hope you understood the point. Thanks a lot for your help.
Hi.
Per my post a couple above yours, we have found that the dock output is definitely less capable than the port on the device.
Now that I have stopped experimenting, I am running two Dell U2414H using displayport MST off the dock, and have sometimes had flickering like you describe on the second monitor. A reboot seemed to fix it for a while, but it's not a good solution.
I have also found that a fresh login after connecting the external display improves reliability, and resets the HiDPI scaling more to my liking that if I don't log out.

It seems to me like the dock output might only just meet the DisplayPort standards, which is why people on this thread have problems with different cables and adapters.

I think this means if you want totally reliable results, you will be best having a separate cable straight to the device (which defeats the purpose of the dock, which is really nice otherwise).

Enrico D.

Ok, let's wait other report, as we know.. a company as Microsoft that would like to compete with Apple shouldn't do this kind of mistakes.... and should put in the market immediatelly a new hardware (the docking) fixed... I'm in the middle of the switch to a SP3 from a desktop and I still need to test the heating issues, fan issues, cpu usage etc etc and to start with the fact that the docking it's not usefull and I have to plug each time the adaptors (that are active so are the mini display cable + the usb cable) to the sp3 itself this means that each time it's not like in Microsoft videos that we plug and unplug the sp3 from the docking or we just take it from our desks... but we need to plug and un plug many cables..... quite annoying, but if this is the unique issue will be ok......we can wait for a fix of hardware in the future, let's hope at least that those i5/i7 will let us work and will not have other bugs with heating, fans, etc etc.

For who said some post above about the issue of wi-fi disconnecting, this is a common buy already described if you google it.. every sp3 I think have this issue and happen usually after the sleep mode. You have to go in the wifi adapter settings and disable and then enable again the wifi and it's fixed. I put a shortcut of the adapter... on my desktop to lose less time if I'm in the middle of job and this happen for some reason. Again... we can't beat apple with some silly bug like this, this is the basic of OS..... but at least this is another easy issue to fix..... let's hope they do this soon too.

Enrico D.

If this can help, or somebody can answer me if already did:

I need to test shortly a 4K led tv connected to Sp3 with a cable I bought already in amazon.com because in youtube videos I already seen setups with Surface Pro 2 with an ACCELL active mdp to hdmi 1.4 adapters.

This one do not need to be powered via usb, so I will try again to connect to the docking 3 and to see if this works or even this solution will work only on the minidisplay port of the device only (the sp3 tablet).

In America are popular the cheap SEIKI 39" led 4k tv, I'm going to test in Europe unfortunately with a Blaupunkt 39" that is more expensive, and I will post here how went. I will have this led tv not before 20 days. As I have it, if IT WORKS for me will be ok to use the docking because I will work usually with a 4K 39" led tv int he future and if I need to use smaller monitors in travels for short periods I can opt to plug them directly on the device.

I hope it will work. So if somebody already tested the docking with a MDP to HDMI 1.4 active cable adapter like the ACCELL or the new model of Startech.com ... please let me know. I bought also from amazon.com HDMI cables (amazon basic + another one of another brand, to have 2 cables just in case of one of the 2 got some issue) that support this standar. Finger crossed, but if somebody already tried... please let us know.
Are very few the users with 2560x1600 resolution set up (like Dell, HP, LG monitors) because those monitors cost over 1200/1300 USD and over 1000 euros, but now with 4K led tv so cheap there will be more people willing and already testing set ups for higher resolutions and much more content to show on their displays without the need of multi display/monitors, who want to use just one monitor for job and concentration knows why is so important to have just 1 monitor and if it is 4K instrad of 1600p it's much difference.

Enrico D.

don't know if you consider off topic but today I had another issue, read here

with the Sp3 connect to the docking I get in task manager 20/25% cpu overload for nothing just for system and system interrupts .... I googled and found many users with same issue, one of them removed the sp3 on the docking and solved... even for me worked only in that way. Scaring! I need to solve even this issue now and this will kill me to use at all the docking... I'm with the up hands... what to do......? thanks for help.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp3-system-and-system-interrups-waste-20-25-cpu-heating.11018/

Attachments

• cpu load.jpg
    cpu load.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 684

agt499

A further update/confirmation:
I am running two Dell U2414H using displayport MST.
When running off the dock, there is periodic flickering and tearing on the second (chained) monitor. This occurs even with the Device display disabled (i.e. Graphics driving 2 displays only), and has never occured at all when connected directly to the device, even when driving 3 (or 4 with a DisplayLink).

So for now my final word to any prospective purchasers of the dock (or of the SP3 with a view to using the dock) : Something isn't quite right -if you want rock-solid display output, you can count on it from the device, but from the dock is a bit of a lottery.

Last edited: