What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

So, I just sent out an update. This update primarily focuses on giving the user some choices for default stuff, like font, font size, etc. This part of the update is the response to a couple of users asking me about that.

Another part of this update is the app will now remember what file is what, so when you press save button or ctrl+s the app will simply save to the file that is opened. For example, say you opened up file A.doc. When you press ctrl+s, the app will save to the A.doc file. No need to have to go through the file picker.

Also, the hand draw/write window is now resizable via pinch zoom. The point of this is to let the user zoom in and be more precise.

There were some bugs that I killed off. Nothing major.

As soon as you install this update, you will notice that the size of the app package has increased to about 3mb. The extra 1mb is there because I've just added a whole new layer of code to the app. This new layer isn't activated just yet. I've still got to make it work nicely with the existing code. Right now, the existing layers and the new layer don't seem to like each other.

What is this new layer of code? It is spell check in real time, meaning the app will spell check for you as you type.

Another big thing I've been working on is the ability to export the document to pdf format. It's easy to do this in the desktop environment, but you have no idea how hard it is to achieve with all the limitations purposely put in place for metro. I've already taken 2 different approaches for this and have given up on both when I hit dead ends. I'll continue to work on this.

Some things I have planned for the near future (like in the next couple of weeks):
(1) Make all the buttons resizable. A user requested this.

(2) Templates. If you're a college student and you need to type an English paper, choose the English Paper template. If you are a teacher and you need a student attendance sheet, choose student attendance sheet template. Etc. Should be fun to start adding the templates to the app once I'm done coding for this part of it.

(3) Handwriting recognition. A couple users have requested this.

(4) Translating entire papers. I really wanted to include this feature in this current update, but it wasn't stable enough for me to be comfortably with releasing it to the wild.

(5) Official bug report from within the app.

(6) A few other things that I'm not sure I'll release at all.

In conjunction with working on this app, I've been working a website for this app. Right now, I've been using free services. I hope to have a blog up and a support forum so people can ask or suggest to me directly.

Thank you all for listening... I mean reading. This app started out a couple months ago as a simple text editor. It has now taken up a life of its own. Nothing else in the winstore even comes close to it as far as touch-oriented metro word processor. I will continue to support until it needs me not anymore.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

So, this morning while driving to work I finally figured out how to incorporate real time spell check into my existing code. Been trying to make this happen for a couple weeks.

Stay tuned. Real time spell check coming next week!

OP
G

goodintentions

So, this morning while driving to work I finally figured out how to incorporate real time spell check into my existing code. Been trying to make this happen for a couple weeks.

Stay tuned. Real time spell check coming next week!
What a downer. I spent all day today incorporating the layer of code for real time spell checking. And I succeeded. But it broke several other functions.

Been pulling my hair out working on this. I'm down to my last dozen hair strands. Don't know how professional programmers deal with the stress.

nnthemperor

Hi Good,

Tried producing a document using your app. Pretty smooth, but there's a bug. The underlining, italics bolding & crossing out features do not work. Please fix.