What's new

MS Office - new install on replacement Surface?

DW!

Hello,

I found a dead pixel on my screen and now I consider get my Surface Pro 2 replaced... anyhow, I have MS Office 2013 installed and I read something somewhere that there might be issues with installing my 1PC Office on another device... in my case it would be a replacement device and not a second one... Do you know what I need to consider (or even to do upfront) to use my licensed Office 2013 on my new Surface?

Thx.
DW!

daniielrp

As far as I know, MS now do allow you to swap your office onto a new PC (Clicky here )

And is it just a pixel? That seems a bit overkill to replace the whole device...

OP
D

DW!

thanks for the reply... sadly the article behind your link didn't say how to do it... and yes... it is currently only one dead pixel - sadly nearly in the middle of the screen... and I do not know yet if I will replace my device or not... I am somebody who likes to be prepared... that is why I asked :)

Dim-Ize

You can definitely do it. I did it when I purchased a Surface Pro for one month, returned it and bought a SP2. I had to contact MS. They walked me through it.

Knuck

I have swapped out my Surface Pro 2 and reinstalled Office 2013 by logging on to my Microsoft store account and going to my orders page. I deactivated my initial install and was able to download and reinstall it on the new Surface. Microsoft gave me 2 installs with the version I bought. Some versions allow for 5. Deactivating allows you to get back the full number of installs purchased.

dougpaw57

I have swapped out my Surface Pro 2 and reinstalled Office 2013 by logging on to my Microsoft store account and going to my orders page. I deactivated my initial install and was able to download and reinstall it on the new Surface. Microsoft gave me 2 installs with the version I bought. Some versions allow for 5. Deactivating allows you to get back the full number of installs purchased.

This only works if you bought a downloaded version. If you buy a home-use version through your employer, or a retail CD-ROM version at a store, you might have to use the telephone method of activation.

OP
D

DW!

Thanks for the feedback. Sadly - at least in this case - I haven't bought through the store but via the online retailer I also bought my Surface Pro 2. I checked the Store App and MS Office 2013 is not shown there. SO I assume I'll need to re-activate my 1 license Office after I receive the replacement device via phone.