What's new

MS Surface RT Mini HDMI to VGA Adapter (Dissatisfaction)

BWepp

Hello Everyone,

I picked up the MS Surface MiniHDMI to VGA adapter the other day and was all "excited" to use my Surface RT as a presentation device. Unfortunately, we ended up using someone else's laptop...

The (very short) cord length and combined weight of the plugged in VGA cable from the projector and the MS Surface adapter kept pulling the MiniHDMI cable out of the port on my Surface just enough to disrupt the signal. This is really disappointing as I've used generic MiniHDMI to HDMI cables with great success. In my opinion there are two major issues:
  • The cable is not a very tight fit and is dislodged too easily
  • The cable length is too short. If it was a bit longer, the weight of the VGA adaptor brick wouldn't be such a strain on the MiniHDMI port
Just my two cents and I'll be calling MS Support to discuss.

ArnoldC

First of all, it is not mini HDMI, but micro HDMI.

:)

The adaptor at about a foot is long enough for the head to lay on a table which won't cause strain. Can't imagine the problem unless you'll be holding up the Surface and let the cable hang, which obviously is not going to work.

Last edited:

magicrobots

That is annoying as hell. Plus those things are not cheap; they should be well engineered. I bet you could return it no questions asked. Let us know what support says! Maybe they'll suggest a superior 3rd party product. Probably not. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the adaptor for many presentations without issue, other than resolution of the projector wouldn't allow any modern UI Apps to open.

compnovo

I just used it last week for a big training, plugged in for close to five hours, and I didn't experience the problem described by the OP. I did make sure the head was well supported on the table next to the Surface, and couldn't be accidentally snagged during the presentation. The weight of the cable itself wasn't enough to affect the connection to the tablet. I wonder if the OP got an adapter with a flawed microHDMI connector....

OP
BWepp

BWepp

I just used it last week for a big training, plugged in for close to five hours, and I didn't experience the problem described by the OP. I did make sure the head was well supported on the table next to the Surface, and couldn't be accidentally snagged during the presentation. The weight of the cable itself wasn't enough to affect the connection to the tablet. I wonder if the OP got an adapter with a flawed microHDMI connector....
^^ THIS.
I went to the MS Store today (Oakbrook, IL) and brought in my Surface RT + the VGA adapter. They checked the adapter first in another RT and the cable was easily dislodged, not a tight fit. A new cable was brought out which worked much better in the store's and my Surface RT, so they swapped it out immediately. I will however stand by my original statement that the actual cable would benefit by being a few inches longer. The weight of the VGA adapter brick + VGA to Projector cable is enough to be a potential nuisance.

compnovo

^^ THIS.
I went to the MS Store today (Oakbrook, IL) and brought in my Surface RT + the VGA adapter. They checked the adapter first in another RT and the cable was easily dislodged, not a tight fit. A new cable was brought out which worked much better in the store's and my Surface RT, so they swapped it out immediately. I will however stand by my original statement that the actual cable would benefit by being a few inches longer. The weight of the VGA adapter brick + VGA to Projector cable is enough to be a potential nuisance.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. :)