What's new

Music pauses when display turns off

jcgc

Surface 3 running Win 10.

I have the power settings to turn the display off in 10 minutes but to never turn off the computer when plugged in. Yet, when I have music playing and the display turns off the music stops. Tapping the start button or any key and the screen lights up and the music resumes. Should add that the entire music library resides on the microsd card.

What am I doing wrong?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surface 3 running Win 10.

I have the power settings to turn the display off in 10 minutes but to never turn off the computer when plugged in. Yet, when I have music playing and the display turns off the music stops. Tapping the start button or any key and the screen lights up and the music resumes. Should add that the entire music library resides on the microsd card.

What am I doing wrong?
Which application are you using? Only WinRT Music API enabled applications will do what you want, Apps like Groove Music.

Turbo4AWD

I have this issue as well, however, when I stream through the Edge browser, the screen turns off but the music never pauses I use Edge for my SiriusXM subscription. I just wish I could get my Tidal app to work the same instead of having to logon to the site. One day....

OP
J

jcgc

Which application are you using? Only WinRT Music API enabled applications will do what you want, Apps like Groove Music.
Is that a Surface or Win 10 issue? I do the same thing from a Dell laptop running Win 8.1 and have no problem. And, in answer to your question I am using Media Monkey.

Thanks for your answer.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is that a Surface or Win 10 issue? I do the same thing from a Dell laptop running Win 8.1 and have no problem. And, in answer to your question I am using Media Monkey.

Thanks for your answer.
Its a Connected Standby issue (would happen on Win 8.x or later), your laptop is most likely a normal ACPI Style device which supports S3 Power Profile (Hybrid Sleep) where on a Connected Standby machine it uses S0iX Power Profile which is like an Phone or Tablet Power Plan.

OP
J

jcgc

Its a Connected Standby issue (would happen on Win 8.x or later), your laptop is most likely a normal ACPI Style device which supports S3 Power Profile (Hybrid Sleep) where on a Connected Standby machine it uses S0iX Power Profile which is like an Phone or Tablet Power Plan.

Jeff, thanks for the reply.

While there is a lot I like about the Surface 3 this is the second issue that just seems inexplicable. One of the things I wanted to be able to do with this was play my music collection which I had been doing with a smartphone and Bose bluetooth speaker. The first problem I ran up against which still isn't resolved is random unmounting of the 128gb micro sd card and now this.

How can I tell if a device has this connected standby feature? I am considering returning the Surface and looking at 11.6" laptops but if I will still have this issue there is no point.

Jim

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, thanks for the reply.

While there is a lot I like about the Surface 3 this is the second issue that just seems inexplicable. One of the things I wanted to be able to do with this was play my music collection which I had been doing with a smartphone and Bose bluetooth speaker. The first problem I ran up against which still isn't resolved is random unmounting of the 128gb micro sd card and now this.

How can I tell if a device has this connected standby feature? I am considering returning the Surface and looking at 11.6" laptops but if I will still have this issue there is no point.

Jim
All apps on a phone works in Connected Standby as they are required, since not all PCs support Connected Standby not all PC Apps support the feature. Groove Music does support it.

LoriMomof9

Ok as of yesterday, I am using the Amazon Prime Music App (from them). I put on a screen saver to start at 10 min. Then set it to go to sleep at 1 hour (in case I forget it is playing and walk off).... so playing fine that way....

This morning, I wake up and see that it restarted in the night. So earlier I turned on my music. My Surface was laying down, with cover on it. So when I saw this thread, I looked at it... the screen was black and the music was still playing.... Just now, my 1 hour was up, so I will see if it still does this.... :)