What's new

Surface 3 turns off when in docking

Hi Everyone,

I am running Windows 10 RTM (from this morning) on my new Surface 3. It works fine so far.

When in docking station, the device turns off while working after a couple of minutes. Yesterday I was able to reproduce by watching a video in IE and Edge, but also during normal work. This morning it happend again on the newest Windows build.

I now disconnected it from the docking and it works fine. Anyone else does have such a problem ? Someone told me it could be a heating issue but I saw my Surface shutting down smoothly the other day when it was very hot directly facing the sun. So I don't think its heating as the devices goes of without shutting down and no heating symbol is shown when trying to restart again > In my case I can boot the device again after a second.

I have no idea and I am thinking off sending back the docking as a next step. Not 100% if it's an issue with win 10 or a driver as I never had win 8.1 running on the device.

Thanks

Bryanmsi

It is the type cover. if you leave the type cover is folded against the surface screen while docked it will continue to randomly go to sleep. If you take the keyboard off or lay it flat while docked, it will not sleep. I hop MS fixes this behavior....

toaf

i have noticed 2 things. on my SP2 while docked.

one. flat out reboot while docked. it kinda did just stop on its own, but i did clean the connectors anyway

2nd. while docked and my power cover on. and lifted up... i swear the heat seemed to active either the touch screen, mouse pad, or keys on keyboard. I do remember it restarting itself once or twice before i started keeping the keyboard down while docked. hope it helps

OP
B

BenAffleckIsBatman

Hey Guys,

I don't think its the type cover. It is not connected when I am using the SF3 in docking. Also it doesn't go to sleep - it powers off and I have to clean boot then, logon and restart all unsaved work.

The only thing I can imagine is that maybe the "heating" smooth shutdown mechanism is not working when in docking. I checked the event log but I can't see thermal warnings - it just goes off.

Maybe a driver/firmware issue. Not sure if I should send back the docking...