What's new

My impressions

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
But Intel's product numbering and tiering is nothing if not confusing. :)

You can say that again. I did have a peek at intels product page but I didn't really succeed in understanding what on earth it was on about. I liked it when it was q6600, q6700, q6850. when I was buying an i5 about 8 months back it was all double dutch, I just said sod it, picked one in my price range and went with it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can say that again. I did have a peek at intels product page but I didn't really succeed in understanding what on earth it was on about. I liked it when it was q6600, q6700, q6850. when I was buying an i5 about 8 months back it was all double dutch, I just said sod it, picked one in my price range and went with it.
If they are doing a good job then generally higher wattage will equal higher overall performance within a generation i.e. Haswell 95w, 45w, 28w, 15w, 10w. Generation to generation we hope they increase like to like and maybe a generation or two later a 28W part will perform better than the older 45w part. etc. So there's a chance a Skylake Core-M could perform as well or better than a Haswell i5 xxxx U.

Fine print: YMMV Actual performance depends on workload instruction mix and may vary instruction by instruction .... past performance may not predict future performance ... all things change nothing is equal :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they are doing a good job then generally higher wattage will equal higher overall performance within a generation i.e. Haswell 95w, 45w, 28w, 15w, 10w. Generation to generation we hope they increase like to like and maybe a generation or two later a 28W part will perform better than the older 45w part. etc. So there's a chance a Skylake Core-M could perform as well or better than a Haswell i5 xxxx U.

Fine print: YMMV Actual performance depends on workload instruction mix and may vary instruction by instruction .... past performance may not predict future performance ... all things change nothing is equal :)

I would not have too much issue with a slight cpu performance drop over the current cpu's, but I would not say no to a little bit more from the gpu side :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Core M replaces the "Y" variant of the Haswell Core "I", so yes it is a Core "I", it can be implemented as a fanless design but early attempts have had issues if fully clocked.