What's new

My Surface RT Doesn't Recognize Bluetooth Keyboard or Headset

rogerjenn

I have a Logitech Wireless (Bluetooth) Headset and K1280C Keyboard, which I use regularly with my Nexus 7 tablet. However, my wife's Surface RT doesn't recognize their presence for pairing when inches away. (Bluetooth and WiFi are both set on.)

Is there any Bluetooth-specific setting accessible in a Surface RT?

Thanks in advance,

--rj

Russ

Roger --

Have you added them to your Device List? PC Settings/Devices/Add a device

I'm using a Bluetooth Speaker and Mouse, and had no problem getting them connected.

Regards,
Russ

OP
rogerjenn

rogerjenn

The Select a Device device list lists only a rockchip digital media renderer, which is related to a UG007 MiniPC on a stick device that's running downstairs. For more on the UG007, which appears to be the precursor of Dell/Wyse's Project Ophelia, see my (very long) First Look at the CozySwan UG007 Android 4.1 MiniPC Device post updated yesterday.

It doesn't show either the keyboard or headset.

--rj

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
rj, just to make sure do you have bluetooth turned on on your Surface?

From the Start Screen, swipe right to left for the Charms bar. Select Settings>Change PC Settings at the bottom right.
Touch Wireless and then turn Bluetooth on.
The touch Devices>Add a Device

If bluetooth is off (by default or by accident) and you try and to add a device you get an unsuccessful search. Maybe even try turning bluetooth off and then back on. I have had to do that with Android devices to get them to connect in the past.

OP
rogerjenn

rogerjenn

@J5150P:

Thanks for your suggestion.

Turned Bluetooth off and back on. Searched and there's "No devices found" in the Devices list. Not promising.

It's interesting that the entry in the devices list for the rockchip devices says it's "Not Windows certified." Small wonder; it runs Android.

Cheers,

--rj

Last edited:

R0bR

Did you initiate the pairing sequence with your keyboard and headset? I would initiate the pairing on your device first then search for new Bluetooth device from the Surface.

ArnoldC

What's with the Android mentions and links?

Anyway, just for kicks i added, from my various BT devices my Acer Ferrari BT headset, done in 10 seconds.

Russ

The Select a Device device list lists only . . .. It doesn't show either the keyboard or headset.

Roger --

My question was, "Have you added them to your Device List? PC Settings/Devices/Add a device"

Have you done that?

Regards,
Russ

OP
rogerjenn

rogerjenn

@R0br and @Bosamar:

Thanks for the pairing tip. The headset required simultaneously pressing two buttons to pair with more than one device, so it now works (RTFM).

It appears that you must remove the device to disable it, then re-pair it, rather than disconnect or disable it. This doesn't seem intuitive to me. For example, watching streaming video and tapping the Devices charm only shows Send to One Note 2013 and Microsoft XPS Document Writer with no list item to enable/disable the headset.

Haven't figured out how to pair the keyboard. On-line instructions are in pidgin and refer to non-existent USB cable.

Cheers,

--rj

Last edited:
OP
rogerjenn

rogerjenn

ArnoldC,

References to Android aren't politically correct here?

I was surprised to see the device show up and marked "Not Windows Certified." Didn't know there was a certification process for Bluetooth devices used by Windows tablets/PCs.