What's new

New Intel graphics driver

Dayton

I'm using it now. Pro is I no longer get that random line appearing on screen that goes away if you refresh the screen by tapping on it. Negative is I think MS's 3368 looks better, the colors just pop a lot more. It is almost like I can't disable Intel's Display Power Saving Technology when using the Intel driver.

GoodBytes

While I can't comment on this particular drivers, when I switch to the Intel drivers to disable "Display Power Saving Technology" aka: "Dynamic Contrast ratio" on the desktop, I noticed that my battery life was reduced (the device was hotter as well), and Windows Updates poking me none stop to install the firmware upgrade again. So to fix this, I have develop a software which allows you to turn off (or back on) Intel's "Display Power Saving Technology" for the Surface Pro 2 using the Surface Pro 2 Intel drivers. Solves that problem, no Windows update poking me anymore, and don't kill my battery life of my Surface Pro 2.

Dayton

With the Intel driver I see no difference between Display Power Setting Technology enabled or disabled. Which leads me to believe that I can't disable it, especially since the MS Intel driver looks so much better. Or possibly I can't enable it from the Intel Control Panel and the MS driver just has different color/contrast settings. From what I can tell the MS Intel driver has Display Power Technology disabled. I think I'm going to go back to 3368.

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Display Power Setting Technology is enabled on Microsoft Intel drivers.
It only works when you are on battery, and basically, when the screen is dark, it controls the contrast and brightness at a software level (emulation, not the actual panel), to dim the image. This system is retarded as it makes you increase the brightness. It should do the reverse! Also, as it's software adjustment, it shift colors and doesn't do a good job, so the result, like all software adjustment (as it's CPU intensive to do it right), is that you see a reduction in colors, and if you have a gradient, you'll see stepping, and not a smooth transition from 1 color to another.

After digging around in the drivers, I found that the "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" and "Display Power Setting Technology" are the same values being changed in the driver settings. So I made Surface Tweak Too (http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...surface-tweak-tool-surface-pro-2-release.html) which provides 1 click solution to the problem, instead of doing the super long and risky solution: Color Banding and dynamic contrast FIX (I made a fix) - Windows Phone Central Forums

To keep my sanity in order, I just like to keep in mind that Intel Graphic solutions is a free solution, and should not expect anything better than that.
The graphic solution drivers are crap, it doesn't work for all software like Nvidia and AMD, they use a software list to ensure that the graphic solution will work properly with these specif software. If the software outside that list, it may crash at any time, or not even start.

It does not support fully DirectX not OpenGL, let alone OpenCL, resulting a numerous crashes in games. Multiple monitor support is not plug and play, unless lucky. Performance drop on multiple display is apparent. And the GPU while low power consuming, is really inefficient. What's better? 4W to turn on 3 lights at full brightness, or 6W to turn on 20 of them at full brightness (assuming all lights are the same)

So I don't expect much. Things won't change, until the consumer asks for dedicated GPUs to manufactures. This will make Intel either actually invest in hiring experts in the field to improve their GPU's, or continue what they are doing, and make Nvidia and AMD see a market for them in non-gaming laptops, and invest resources in making ultra low powered ones.

Look for example at the Nvidia Tegra K1. ARM processor by Nvidia.. ok that's fine, but include a full GeForce 600 series inside, that best Intel best offering. And guess what.. the whole chip, is only 5W max.. imagine just having the GPU by itself, in the Surface Pro 2 :) It will be like what? 3W the GPU, you don't even need a cooling solution for this, and you'll enjoy better gaming performance, better drivers, no color issues, and everything would just work.

Last edited:

benjitek

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to install the new driver?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23639

The driver version is 10.18.10.3412 and on my Surface Pro 2 it's 10.18.10.3262.

What are the pros/cons if any, compared with waiting for Microsoft to update it automatically?

Microsoft tweaks the drivers to their hardware -- when they get around to it, updated graphic drivers will appear in Windows Update. If you're having any soft of hardware issue and you contact Surface tech support, they won't provide assistance for hardware problems when anything other than their drivers are installed. They'll walk you through installing their drivers -- or doing a restore to factory settings. IMHO, it's better to just stick with the drivers MS issues, your mileage may vary =)

kevinlevrone

My opinion is that you should always install the latest drivers which are approved by Intel. It takes too much time for Microsoft to validate them and post them on Windows Update.

However, you should note that if you want to install the latest Intel driver, it will display an error message "this driver has not been validated for your system". You must extract the driver files from the .exe (using WinRAR), go to Device Manager, right-click on the Intel HD Display Adapter and choose "Update Driver Software". Then choose "Browse My Computer for Driver Software", choose the Graphics subfolder in the just extracted files, and then click on the "Let Me Pick From a List of Drivers in My Computer" (and select the available driver in the 1-driver list). Then the new driver will be found and installed.

No issues so far with this release.

Dayton

Actually Intel offers zipped versions of their drivers making the whole process much simpler. For those who jump between the latest Intel and the MS version, which do you think looks better? I think the MS driver makes for a prettier display, richer colors and more contrast though you can adjust those when using the Intel driver.

kevinlevrone

For those who jump between the latest Intel and the MS version, which do you think looks better? I think the MS driver makes for a prettier display, richer colors and more contrast

I didn't notice any color or contrast difference when switching drivers on any of my laptops over time (including the Surface Pro 2). Logically speaking, by default the driver should not alter the RGB color codes received from the operating system, and just pass these as they are to the TFT controller hardware which translates them into voltages for the LCD crystals. The translation of RGB values into voltages is done by the display firmware, not the video driver. The display firmware is calibrated from factory for each screen to produce colors according to Microsoft's specs and thus cannot be updated because it's values are unique for each display. Unlike the OS user interface, the driver can make some adjustments for video content.

But it's just my (educated) guess on how this works, it may not be this way.

kozak79

Actually, when using the microsoft driver with Photoshop, I noticed that there were less Greys in black and white images. More noticeable stepping from black to white gradients. Switching to the Intel Driver made the gradients much smoother. Because of this I use Intel Drivers for better greys.

GoodBytes

Actually, when using the microsoft driver with Photoshop, I noticed that there were less Greys in black and white images. More noticeable stepping from black to white gradients. Switching to the Intel Driver made the gradients much smoother. Because of this I use Intel Drivers for better greys.

That is because you have Intel Dynamic Contrast ratio turned on by default with Microsoft drivers. If you use my tool, you can turn it off, and problem solved.

jrapdx

This sure looks like a situation where "mileage varies" quite a bit. Some people see a difference, the other half don't, suggesting whether it's a good idea or not is a crap shoot.

To me that makes the option of using "unauthorized" drivers a bit too risky. After all, the SP2 has shown itself falling far short of an ideally solid, stable platform, leading me to land on the side of caution.

IOW adding yet another unknown "wild card" variable to a system with questionable stability does not seem to be the wisest thing to do.