What's new

New Pro 3 Owner From Pro 2 and Best Buy Hooked Me Up!

kundas1

^^good point but you forgot one tiny thing, GAS & wear N' tear on our cars... so it costs us money to return things..

FlySwatter

I'd rather take the punishment and be able to sleep well at night rather than any other alternative. Another affirmation, perhaps that I am really a idealistic fool!
You're a good egg Kristal. I like that fact that:

1. You're apparently an honest person, and would genuinely feel bad by profiting from someones' mistake.
2. So much so, that you would return the item, and get the one you paid for.
3. AND you didn't deride the OP for "cashing in". A lot of people (in your shoes) would have taken the moral high road and tried to make the OP feel guilty for "ripping off" Best Buy. But you didn't even hint at it. Kudos!

I bet when you get too much change back at the grocery store, you give the extra money back; tell me I'm wrong. You're a class act, IMO. Have a beer on me.

As for my personal opinion n the subject. I will admit, the "red angel" on my left shoulder would have probably won the argument with the "white angel" on my right shoulder, and I would have kept the I7 with an evil Grinch-like smile curling from ear to ear.

mitchellvii

Honesty + Practicality = Ethics.

Is it unethical to tell your wife she doesn't look fat in that dress when she does?

kristalsoldier

You're a good egg Kristal. I like that fact that:

1. You're apparently an honest person, and would genuinely feel bad by profiting from someones' mistake.
2. So much so, that you would return the item, and get the one you paid for.
3. AND you didn't deride the OP for "cashing in". A lot of people (in your shoes) would have taken the moral high road and tried to make the OP feel guilty for "ripping off" Best Buy. But you didn't even hint at it. Kudos!

I bet when you get too much change back at the grocery store, you give the extra money back; tell me I'm wrong. You're a class act, IMO. Have a beer on me.

As for my personal opinion n the subject. I will admit, the "red angel" on my left shoulder would have probably won the argument with the "white angel" on my right shoulder, and I would have kept the I7 with an evil Grinch-like smile curling from ear to ear.

Thank you. Yes, I would feel very uncomfortable. In this connection - though only tangentially related to the matter on hand, let me share a story with you.

In a previous avatar, I used to own a software development company. After a lot of effort (I thought I had worn out a couple of pair of shoes in the process), we had secured a contract (it was our first contract) to develop a piece of software for a client. We were new to the business and as a part of the sales pitch, I had told the client that I would - on my own volition -pay a penalty calculated on a per day basis for every day that we were late in delivering and installing the software. This was technically not a part of the contract - it was a verbal agreement. As things turned out, we were late - by 10 days or so. The first day we were late, I showed up at the client's office. He was irate and was yelling etc. I heard him out and when he was done, I apologized for the delay and then handed him an envelope with a bankers' draft (some of you may call it a bankers' cheque) bearing the penalty amount made out in the name of the client. He was a bit taken aback and did not quite understand what I was doing. I reminded him of the verbal agreement that I had made to which he said that he did not believe that I actually meant it. He calmed down immediately and urged me to take back the cheque, but I refused. So, for each of the 10 days or so that we were late, I showed up every evening at his office and handed him a draft and every day he insisted that I take it back, which I refused to do. At the end of the 10 days or so, when we had installed the software and has tested it to the client's satisfaction, I found that we had just barely covered our costs.

But you know what, the client insisted on signing an AMC for 5 years at what I considered to be a rate higher than what was prevalent in the market at the time, which gave us a steady flow of income. It was not much, but it was something. More importantly, he recommended my company to his friends and his professional circle and our client accounts jumped exponentially. My personal code (and it is just that - it is a yardstick that I apply only to myself) is that an agreement is first and foremost a word given to another person. Contracts and other legal documentation - while absolutely necessary in the commercial context - come later. And, violating that - regardless of the profit potential - is not worth it - at least for me.

And, yes, the infrequent number of times that I have received more change that I should have had on purchasing something, I have always gone back and returned the money. Why? First, there is that personal code and second, because I know that often times the person who made the mistake would be penalized when accounts are tallied at the end of the day. And, since we are all human, we all make mistakes so why should someone be penalized for what is, usually, a mistake. Again, this is my personal opinion and the only person I hold accountable to this is myself.

Apologies - this turned out to be a long and, perhaps, an irrelevant post! But there you have it

kristalsoldier

Honesty + Practicality = Ethics.

Is it unethical to tell your wife she doesn't look fat in that dress when she does?

Or, let's raise the pitch higher: Is it unethical to tell your wife that she does not look fat in that dress (when she actually does) and then have an extra-marital affair with a gorgeous svelte girlfriend (which you also don't tell your wife about)?

mitchellvii

Or, let's raise the pitch higher: Is it unethical to tell your wife that she does not look fat in that dress (when she actually does) and then have an extra-marital affair with a gorgeous svelte girlfriend (which you also don't tell your wife about)?

Lol, no to first, yes to second. Ask me a hard one. :)

Is it ethical for the buyer to lose money (time is money) because the seller made an error? And again, once you add the overhead to Bestbuy of processing the return, sending it back to the manufacturer or selling it again at a discount as an "open box" item and processing the new purchase, I believe you would find Bestbuy to be money ahead by simply letting sleeping dogs lie. Remember that Bestbuy did not lose the full purchase difference between the two models, only the cost difference (which would be far less).

If the buyer returns this purchase literally everyone loses money.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Lol, no to first, yes to second. Ask me a hard one. :)

Is it ethical for the buyer to lose money (time is money) because the seller made an error? And again, once you add the overhead to Bestbuy of processing the return, sending it back to the manufacturer or selling at again at a discount as an "open box" item and processing the new purchase, I believe you would find Bestbuy to be money ahead by simply letting sleeping dogs lie. Remember that Bestbuy did not loose the full purchase difference between the two models, only the cost difference (which would be far less).

If the buyer returns this purchase literally everyone loses money.

An equitable outcome wouldn't you say?

raqball

Does Best Buy still flag you for returns and then not allow you to return or even exchange a faulty item?

I know they were doing this previously but don't know if they still are.

If the OP brings it back they will treat it as a return and he/she might get flagged and barred for exchanging the SP3 if it develops an issue before the 14-day return period is up.