What's new

New Pro 3 Owner From Pro 2 and Best Buy Hooked Me Up!

m98custom1212

You better watch what comes out of your account or the charge on the credit statement. If it was $100 I would stay keep and forget but you're talking what $250+ I would at least call the store.

I hate bestbuy because of what they have done in the past but they really stepped you their game lately. Price matching Amazon, Mircocenter and Newegg that is huge. When my fiance got the surface pro 3 for me as a gift. She said they was very helpful and didn't bs her with all the extended crap and just asked if she wanted office. She knew nothing about the $150 student discount either but they helped her get the discount.

leeshor

Lots of discussion here about what is and isn't ethical. Let's not cross the line and get the tread locked.

mitchellvii

Does Best Buy still flag you for returns and then not allow you to return or even exchange a faulty item?

I know they were doing this previously but don't know if they still are.

If the OP brings it back they will treat it as a return and he/she might get flagged and barred for exchanging the SP3 if it develops an issue before the 14-day return period is up.

Yes, Bestbuy still tracks returns and issues 90 bans if they feel you have abused the privilege, but even if they ban you, there is a workaround.

Join MyBestBuy online (something anyone should do anyway). They will send you a MyBestBuy members card. In my case I'm Elite Plus since I spend a ton at Bestbuy. Anyway, if you have a ban in place and wish to return something, you want to avoid showing your driver's license because that is how they track the returns.

The way to avoid that is to simply use the Jedi mind trick. When they ask for an ID say, "You don't need my ID, you only need my MyBestBuy card," as you hand them the card. Lol, works every time. :)

Lol, also try to get the Geek Squad guys to do the return. They hate hassling with the whole ID business in the first place. The person you DON'T want is the new guy who is afraid of bending rules.

P.S., It's a lame policy anyway because they count it against you even when you return defective merchandise.

kristalsoldier

Yes, Bestbuy still tracks returns and issues 90 bans if they feel you have abused the privilege, but even if they ban you, there is a workaround.

Join MyBestBuy online (something anyone should do anyway). They will send you a MyBestBuy members card. In my case I'm Elite Plus since I spend a ton at Bestbuy. Anyway, if you have a ban in place and wish to return something, you want to avoid showing your driver's license because that is how they track the returns.

The way to avoid that is to simply use the Jedi mind trick. When they ask for an ID say, "You don't need my ID, you only need my MyBestBuy card," as you hand them the card. Lol, works every time. :)

Lol, also try to get the Geek Squad guys to do the return. They hate hassling with the whole ID business in the first place. The person you DON'T want is the new guy who is afraid of bending rules.

P.S., It's a lame policy anyway because they count it against you even when you return defective merchandise.

Question: So, what happens if someone does not have a driver's licence? That person cannot return stuff bought (with legitimate proof of purchase)?

mitchellvii

Question: So, what happens if someone does not have a driver's licence? That person cannot return stuff bought (with legitimate proof of purchase)?

Technically any legal photo ID will do. College, military, etc. Since they record your License ID# and send it off to a company in California called "The Retail Equation" it is a major invasion of privacy and a terrible policy. They are punishing honest shoppers who return defective or unwanted merchandise just to catch the few who buy an 80 inch TV before the Superbowl then return it the next day.

Besides, it is super easy to work around, so what's the point? The scamster who wants to return the TV set after hosting a Superbowl party just has to ask a friend to return it with their ID. So if it isn't catching the real crooks all it is doing is hassling the good customers.

If you are in a pinch just say you don't have your ID on you but the MyBestBuy card will work. I do this every time I return anything. They never get to see my ID. In this day and age of identity theft there is no way I give my ID # to some shady 3rd party outfit in California.

OP
N

nightrider76

Wow, alot of replies to my post. So i have decided to keep it. As mentioned before why do i have to go thru the hassle of starting over setting it up. If i was an average non tech consumer i probably wouldn't of noticed the screw up for weeks. I have checked my BB receipt and it even says core I5 with the correct serial number for my I7. Quite baffling up seems like an issue that goes deeper then the person who pulled it off the shelf. I am going to get the MS care warranty for it after i live with it longer, so wont have a need to return it to the store. I am thinking about selling it and making a few bucks and then go for the I5 if for some reason i dont happen to like the I7. But so far i am really happy with its performance but can get hot when running plugged in. But i do like tweaking my devices so we will see.

revmike

Kind of a stretch to say the OP has sold his integrity. It's not like he was dishonest in his dealings with the clerk or engineered the situation in any way. A mistake was made, in his favor. Happens in businesses every single day.

Call it what you want and justify the behavior, I was taught as a child that if I took something without paying for it was stealing, this is my last commit and I am moving on.

kundas1

revmike please watch what you say as he can interpret you indirectly calling the OP a thief! it was far from what you feel/think/see what the OP did... it was an innocent happenstance... so lets move on shall we?

FlySwatter

... I am thinking about selling it and making a few bucks and then go for the I5 if for some reason i dont happen to like the I7...
Getting a lucky upgrade, and selling it for a profit are two different things. Do what you want, but that's a line I wouldn't cross, personally. I'm still happy for you for scoring the free upgrade, but I do hope you decide to accept your good fortunate and just be a new I7 owner rather than "turn a profit".

mitchellvii

Ethics must be balanced with practicality. For instance, the US Government may know for a fact we have been and are regularly being visited by aliens who could wipe out humanity should the mood strike them. It would be honest for them to tell us, but would it be ethical if the news resulted in widespread panic, looting and murder?

In this case, BestBuy's loss on this unit is limited to their additional cost (not the retail difference). If the owner returns the unit, BestBuy will also incur costs, perhaps even more than they lost on the mistaken sale. So while returning the unit would be honest, would costing everyone involved money be ethical?

I doubt the owner could turn a profit on this as he would have to sell the computer at a steep discount to its retail value as it is "used".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kif