What's new

News of RT's death has been greatly exaggerated....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep hearing this, but I don't see it. Most businesses are not tech oriented. They just want to stick with what they know, and what they know are all x86 apps.
X86 ain't the whole world as much as some might think.
Airlines use them for documents.
Anyone who Webified their apps for even some business units can use these and you don't have to build custom Apps for that.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I keep hearing this, but I don't see it. Most businesses are not tech oriented. They just want to stick with what they know, and what they know are all x86 apps.
Maybe in the SMB space, but with many companies in the enterprise space they embrace new solutions as long as they are solutions.

oion

Ignoring the corporate world for the RT platform, if MS would just include Silverlight support somehow, that would increase value in the academic sphere. I've always felt RT would work best in the HS-college setting, but the Silverlight stuff was make-or-break in several cases presented here a ways back. Unfortunate.

Edit:
Adding to GreyFox7's post, most companies are moving to web-based cloud solutions for many types of work. MS should look there and make sure IE is easily compatible with most everything; allowing the user to mess with deep settings like user agent strings would be a start.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ignoring the corporate world for the RT platform, if MS would just include Silverlight support somehow, that would increase value in the academic sphere. I've always felt RT would work best in the HS-college setting, but the Silverlight stuff was make-or-break in several cases presented here a ways back. Unfortunate.

Edit:
Adding to GreyFox7's post, most companies are moving to web-based cloud solutions for many types of work. MS should look there and make sure IE is easily compatible with most everything; allowing the user to mess with deep settings like user agent strings would be a start.
It does seem some RT limitations were arbitrary and should have been and still should be lifted.

RT should be promoted from second class to a first class citizen in the Microsoft ecosystem. x86 apps notwithstanding the desired state should be for as near 100% functional parity with Windows as possible and support parity in enterprise lifecycle management, administration, & deployment.

Intel needs the competition. :). I think it's too early to say Intel has conquered ARM or that conquering is eminent. If there is a significant ARM play anywhere Windows should be ready for it.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Silverlight is a deprecated technology, its out there especially in the UK but active support is waning. Windows on ARM is not dead despite what many say....

SEANT

Not dead, but in a coma. The consumer, enterprise, OEMs, developers, Carriers, and Microsoft are all watching closely for signs that it’s about to get up and take off.