What's new

OFFICIAL I pre-ordered my Surface Pro 3

Saul

Type Marvell in the search box above.
BTW my Marvell adapter/driver failed yesterday and I had to do a system restore, losing all my logins and Start Menu changes.

Woah, delayed response, better than never though, will do, cheers!

Told me preorder delivery would be August, probably same time as general availability.

You in the US? So they're no longer going to hit the 20/06 (as originally promised) for commencement of shipping there?
So now it's ~31/08 like the i3 & i7? If so, then there's no longer any need for me to buy in the US & have it mail-forwarded to Australia.
That's pretty bad if true, really they needed to hit 20/06 (& not just in the US), ~31/08 for that hardware is getting a bit dated & competition is red hot nowadays.

Probably going to buy one in spite of my Marvell experiences/misgivings.

Prolly end up being a "storm in a teacup"...

N.G.

Saul,
I am in the US. The visit to the MS Store was strange. There were a fair number of idle associates at the entrance waiting. I got the impression they were not trained. For instance none of them appeared aware of the "lapability" issue/feature, and they contradicted each other several times. I have been to (and purchased Surfaces Generations 1 & 2 at) this store before and it was not like this. I probably would have preordered, except for the "August" answer, but I don't place much credence in it, for instance they did not ask if I would want and I5 (first delivery wave I understand) or another.

I am pretty sure MS will make their commencement of shipping date, after all they are delivering now. I got the "August" answer from one of the associates who didn't know about the lapability issue.

Don't agree about the competition if usable tablet is a requirement, and I have been searching. The two 10inchers which made my cut because of weight advantages (HP Elitepad 1000 &Thinkpad 10) are STILL Atom z3795 / emmc machines, and the first of them outweighs the SP3 by the time you add the Productivity Keyboard. After 2 Surface computers, I'm convinced 16:9 is a design defect. The Asus t300 chi is going to be competition, but it probably won't hit the market till late fall (I've been trying to buy the z3775 version of the ASUS T100 "available" in April (wife wants something light to USE ON HER LAP) and they aren't around).

Last edited:

DanL

Can I ask what you got for your trade in?

$490, but that was over a week ago and they told me the trade in prices change all the time. Gazelle was giving $525 if you want to go that route. $575 with keyboard. I went with BB because it was instant and came off the price of the new SP3.

tuchas

I was at MS store last Saturday and quite frankly I felt like I was teaching them about the Surface Pro 3. A few employees were telling customers that ALL SP3s would be out in August, but a manager came over and had to correct them about the i5 models (which, if you ordered by now, you should get them by the 20th of June).

One thing that really shocked me (in a bad way) was how little these associates knew about key functions of the SP3. I had to show a couple of them the "wake-up" feature with the pen that opened up OneNote. Further, they were unable to tell me anything about the features of OneNote - both the Metro and Desktop versions. The wake up button on the pen ONLY opens the Metro version - so features like Ink to Text were not available. That was a bit of a disappointment, but livable. It was more disappointing that many of the staff members knew little about a new flagship product. This should be a HUGE embarrassment for MS.

Saul

Saul,
I am in the US. The visit to the MS Store was strange. There were a fair number of idle associates at the entrance waiting. I got the impression they were not trained. For instance none of them appeared aware of the "lapability" issue/feature, and they contradicted each other several times. I have been to (and purchased Surfaces Generations 1 & 2 at) this store before and it was not like this. I probably would have preordered, except for the "August" answer, but I don't place much credence in it, for instance they did not ask if I would want and I5 (first delivery wave I understand) or another.

I am pretty sure MS will make their commencement of shipping date, after all they are delivering now. I got the "August" answer from one of the associates who didn't know about the lapability issue.

Don't agree about the competition if usable tablet is a requirement, and I have been searching. The two 10inchers which made my cut because of weight advantages (HP Elitepad 1000 &Thinkpad 10) are STILL Atom z3795 / emmc machines, and the first of them outweighs the SP3 by the time you add the Productivity Keyboard. After 2 Surface computers, I'm convinced 16:9 is a design defect. The Asus t300 chi is going to be competition, but it probably won't hit the market till late fall (I've been trying to buy the z3775 version of the ASUS T100 "available" in April (wife wants something light to USE ON HER LAP) and they aren't around).

Hmmm, I need a concrete answer on whether the 20/06 is still a definite, & I need it within the next 24hrs, thanks anyway...

Yeah the T300 Chi, & there's one other that I can't recall OTTOMH*, the i3/i5/i7 SP3 will be out for only ~3mth (i5 for 5mth in the US) by the time these arrive.
If it was 20/06 for all SP3 versions, & for more countries than just the US, then it'd be much less of an issue...

N.B. I wasn't just referring to Intel hyrbids, I was mainly referring to the consumer market in general, & standing-out/getting_traction the way it is nowadays.

*admittedly they all seem to be "Broadwell M" so far, which is a less beefier offering than straight-up Broadwell IIRC

Last edited:

unruledboy

i5,256,8G, blue type cover, pen loop

also usb splitter, usb -> rj45 lan, miniDisplay -> hdmi, thinkpad bluetooth keyboard (yeah, I know...........

I LOVE SURFACE PRO 3!

Seneleron

Ordered my i5 256 GB 5/27. I would've posted before now, but it wasn't really a reality until I had to give up my SP2 to my wife so she could give up HER SP to our son, who graduates today.

Now all they need to do is ship early! I've been without my SP2 for less than 5 minutes, and already I'm suffering withdrawals ><