What's new

Official Microsoft Miracast Adapter

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like it will complement the Surface Design ethos...Pre-order now, general availability 10/31/2014

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ncing-the-microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/

Wireless_Display_Adapter_3-4.png

bluegrass

It's too bad it just works with TVs. I bought into a wireless tech about a year ago that will work with any monitor with an HDMI input. It takes a small xmitter dongle plugged into the Surface and a small receiver plugged into the HDMI input of a monitor. Do our Surfaces have Miracast compatibility. If so, do you need a xmitter plugged into a USB port on the Surface or does it use the built in WiFi xmitter? Miracast is so new, I haven't done my research on it yet.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Miracast support is native to all the Surface Family (with the exception of the original RT) running 8.1/RT...this adapter will work on any screen or projector that has an HDMI Input.

No dongle needed on the Surface, its uses the same Wireless HDMI that is enabled via WiFi Direct, Intel calls their implantation WiDi, Samsung calls theirs ScreenShare, they are all now Miracast Compatible.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My TV has HDMI but no USB port. I assume I'm out of luck?

It grieves me so
To see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do
To make you smile again...

There must be 50 ways to power a USB device.

Just get a new brick Rick, make a USB cable Mable, get a USB hub Bub and set yourself free. :D

it's really not my habit To intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To Power a USB device
Fifty ways to power a USB device.

Last edited:
OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 20 USB to Power Adapter lying around to power a USB Device...HDMI does have enough power to power a receiver, this true Chromecast, and every other Wireless HDMI receiver.

CrippsCorner

Anyone know if I can order to the UK from the US store? As unfortunately this product isn't showing as available for pre-order here yet!

lonaysta

Preordered one but status is "backordered". MS Store online rep said "some or all of the orders are backordered", so it is unclear if I can get it on Oct 31th.

dougpaw57

Preordered one but status is "backordered". MS Store online rep said "some or all of the orders are backordered", so it is unclear if I can get it on Oct 31th.

They all show back ordered, and have since it was put up on the site. The release date still shows Oct 31st.