What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else have display brightness problems in 14332? Sometimes it can only be adjusted through the settings page, with the action center button greyed out, and other times, suggested is not adaptive and is just maximum brightness.

Compusmurf

I'm hoping that this build will be the last build with "new" features and they'll focus on bug fixes here until the anniversary release.

wynand32

So, I wonder if the Surface input lockup bug has been fixed. Still debating whether to put the latest build on my SP4.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've not seen the surface lockup bug in a long time now, although granted it has been plugged in all the time.

Update I received today (can't remember the build number) seems to ha e done little, only things I have noticed are aesthetic (like adding a swirl to the pen quick access icon) and that if I try and open a file from a phone plugged into the usb, it has to copy the whole file (file transfer window comes up when double clicked) to a temp folder before it can be accessed. I only tried with video files though.

wynand32

Okay, I went ahead and put my SP4 back on the Insider builds, installed 14342.

Something weird is happening, though. When Windows Hello logs me in, the webcam light is turning on along with the infrared camera. I'm 99.9% sure that wasn't happening before.

Anyone else seeing this?

Compusmurf

Hello now uses both IR and regular cam to verify your identity. I guess it's now expected behavior.
I had an issue updating to 14342 from 332 and had to grab the ESD and convert to ISO. It kept failing otherwise and rolling back. Using ISO upgraded fine.

Also the RES extension for EDGE isn't working for me.

wynand32

Wow, my SP4 is utterly atrocious on 14342. Blue screens, brightness issues, trackpad issues, sleep issues, pretty much everything is just terrible. I just do not understand how we all can have such different experiences--yes, I know, different software installed and all of that, but even so, these are such basic issues that "different installed software" just doesn't account for it all.

Worst so far: I shut down my SP4 and stuck it in a bag. Got to where I was going and it was burning hot. Didn't sleep or hibernate, literally shut it down. I suppose I'll restore back to production, but man, what are the chances that they resolve so many issues by the time the Anniversary Update rolls around?

Compusmurf

I mentioned i had issues with it until i installed with ISO then all those issues went away. Something wasn't right with the live upgrade.

wynand32

I mentioned i had issues with it until i installed with ISO then all those issues went away. Something wasn't right with the live upgrade.

Sure. I can give that a try, I suppose. The way it's acting it'll either be factory restore or clean install as you suggest with the 14342 ISO.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this whole issue needs to be one of Microsofts top priorities right now. I'm amazed that after a fairly significant period of time, windows 10 is still so buggy and unpredictable from one machine to the next. I'm on 14342 via normal upgrade path, and it is just great, then I read posts like the above, where formatting and such is the only option to make the machine semi-usable. It's a rather sad state of affairs.

Compusmurf

I didn't format or clean install, I just used the CD "upgrade" method of 14342. I grabbed the ESD, converted to ISO, mounted it live and installed from there. Both times I used the standard upgrade through win update, this build got hosed. LOL All other times I've done this has worked.