What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

wynand32

I didn't format or clean install, I just used the CD "upgrade" method of 14342. I grabbed the ESD, converted to ISO, mounted it live and installed from there. Both times I used the standard upgrade through win update, this build got hosed. LOL All other times I've done this has worked.

Theoretically, though, that shouldn't make any difference. The standard upgrade process just downloads the ESD and then performs the upgrade. Other than converting to ISO and mounting it manually, you've done nothing meaningfully different. In fact, you've introduced another chance for error.

So maybe you've just suffered from some kind of weird coincidence. :) But ultimately, I stand by my position that Microsoft has a lot of work to do by the end of July.

Compusmurf

I know it shouldn't, but 2 installs the update way rolled back, and cd install worked. I cant explain it. Bit it was the release that pre staged before Ms was ready. I am waiting on the next version as this version still has more quirks and noticible bugs than 332 had.

wynand32

I decided to go ahead and factory restore back to production (which worked without needed a USB drive, didn't know that was still possible after Insider). 14342 was just way too unstable, with the worst part being that perfectly consistently the brightness settings would stop working along with the trackpad on the Type Cover. Only a reboot would fix both (although I'm sure a later Intel driver would help with brightness). Also, Windows Hello simply stopped working, turning off/back on, retraining, etc., nothing worked.

Just way too janky to rely on.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a more stable Insider build on the SP4, and give that a shot. It's not that long until Anniversary Update, and so Microsoft should be starting to work entirely on bug fixes and stability rather than adding more features. In the meantime, I have my desktop running Insider to keep up with things.

Compusmurf

332 was the MOST stable preview for me by far. Now that they have added everything in theory, maybe they will focus on bug fixes until anniversary release. One can only hope....

Compusmurf

352 out, installed. Stability-I don't know yet, so don't ask. LOL. Haven't had it installed more than 24 hours and no more than 3 reboots so far. From the seat of my pants, feels less buggy than 342 on the SP4. It installed cleanly the first try for me, no hoop jumping. I do see a potential bug of the on screen keyboard trying to pop up more often than it should. After installing, the new drivers didn't go through the reinstall process like past builds, of course, extensions needed reinstalling. I did have a sleep issue after first installing, but it was literally right after so it may have been still doing housecleaning, indexing. It slept and hibernated and recovered fine this morning....

I am using the Intel 4454 beta video driver (NOT available on public intel site), waiting for 4457 which should be released today.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Installed it here, again, not much playing around but seems nice and stable.

First bug I noticed though, the task bar volume icon displays opposites. When muted it displays it as not, and when not muted, it shows itself as muted.

It also seems very hit and miss whether tart will let you type to search your apps

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It installed overnight.....interesting it was in S0iX came out and finished updating...whew :)

EMINENT

Any idea why my SP4 isn't gettin 352? On 342 and i've already reset it and signed out of insider and logged out of my MS acct. and back in and rebooted. A couple days now and it's not seeing any new builds. It'll get Defender updates though.

Update: Ok, finally had to boot from usb from scratch. Insider program would not let me in. Kept saying Fix Me and every time I did and restarted, it still said the same thing. Then, created a new admin and now it's allowing me to enroll into Insider. This next morning the update is showing up.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Installing 14361.

Claimed:
- inking improvements
- notification mirroring across devices
- stability improvements
- settings menus tweaked