What's new

only 4 hours of battery EVEN WHEN I optimize for battery

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bummer, but silver lining is that perhaps something was clearly broken with your OS. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better experience. I certainly. Wouldn't tolerate a 4hr battery life. That just makes me think of my laptops back in 2004

OP
macmee

macmee

Bummer, but silver lining is that perhaps something was clearly broken with your OS. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better experience. I certainly. Wouldn't tolerate a 4hr battery life. That just makes me think of my laptops back in 2004

The final battery life I got from it was 3.5 hours :(

I installed Linux Mint on it today to see what battery life is in that (maybe there's a problem with my device?). So we'll see.

What sort of battery life do you get from your SP4?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is not a typical use case, but I always used my SP4 (i5) with flight mode and battery saver on when taking notes in onenote and could generally see 7-8 hours without a problem. Although that is more hypothetical than tested, just extrapolating based on drainage per hour in lectures (around 10% an hour, but it would vary depending on the fast ring build I was running on a particular day). When travelling to and from london it would be a 3 hour coach ride and I'd watch films and have well over 50% left by the time I arrived.

OP
macmee

macmee

Mine is not a typical use case, but I always used my SP4 (i5) with flight mode and battery saver on when taking notes in onenote and could generally see 7-8 hours without a problem. Although that is more hypothetical than tested, just extrapolating based on drainage per hour in lectures (around 10% an hour, but it would vary depending on the fast ring build I was running on a particular day). When travelling to and from london it would be a 3 hour coach ride and I'd watch films and have well over 50% left by the time I arrived.

maybe somehow the thing killing me is that I'm browsing webpages? I remember getting 8+ hours of battery in lectures too, but then I was just in onenote and it was sleeping a lot of the time.

In any case the ARM based windows tablets cant come soon enough. The prospect of 20 hour battery life with a full OS makes me very excited.

Seneleron

The final battery life I got from it was 3.5 hours :(

Just out of curiosity, did you restore from the restore image on the Surface, or did you use a disk. I remember seeing one that had nothing but issues. . . turned out to be a corrupt restore image on the drive.

Just a thought.

OP
macmee

macmee

Just out of curiosity, did you restore from the restore image on the Surface, or did you use a disk. I remember seeing one that had nothing but issues. . . turned out to be a corrupt restore image on the drive.

Just a thought.

good theory - Over the weekend I'll download the ISO from microsoft for W10 pro and install that way. It should self activate, right?