What's new

Ordered my Surface RT!

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

welcome aboard =D If you have any questions we are here :3

Thanks! I'm sure I will have many questions. This is my first Win 8 tablet. I have Win 8 on my laptop but I am already noticing differences. I much prefer tablets to PCs and I like the Surface a lot so far.

pallentx

Yep, I haven't had a need for tapatalk since IE handles most forums very well. The last time I tried Tapatalk, I hated how it dealt with images. That was on an iPad - it seemed more optimized for a small screen than large. Congrats.

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

I'm loving this thing so far! About 30-35 hours and I'm still at 42% battery. And I've been using it a lot too. One quick question though... Does anyone know how I can close apps in Modern UI? Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'm loving this thing so far! About 30-35 hours and I'm still at 42% battery. And I've been using it a lot too. One quick question though... Does anyone know how I can close apps in Modern UI? Thanks.

You don't need to but if you want to there are 3 main ways.

1. Swipe from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom. The app will shrink then go off the screen.

2. From task manager in desktop you can choose apps to close.

3. Get the open apps list by swiping in from the left edge making a u turn back to the edge. Once the apps list is showing you can right click an ap to close.

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

You don't need to but if you want to there are 3 main ways.

1. Swipe from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom. The app will shrink then go off the screen.

2. From task manager in desktop you can choose apps to close.

3. Get the open apps list by swiping in from the left edge making a u turn back to the edge. Once the apps list is showing you can right click an ap to close.

Thanks! Will try out the swipe down from top of screen to bottom trick. I just don't want to be eating up resources. Thanks again. :)

wilbur4321

Thanks! :)

I will be loading it up with Netflix, Evernote, Pulse and some other stuff as soon as it arrives. I wonder if they have Tapatalk for it too... I know they have Angry Birds as I saw it in a commercial. :)

There will be a Tap a talk app; there's an app for these forums now, and it's the basis for a full version :)

thanks,
--randy

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Hstakz

Be sure to search optional updates and update office from 2013 preview to full version.
Hope you enjoy it I made a list for you on some really great games you should look at:

Jetpack joyride-Free
Soulcraft-Free
Sprinkle-(Probably one of the most graphic enhanced game in the store and has amazing physics)-$1.49 I think?
Rayman jungle run-Amazing looks great on RT-$2.99
Rocket riot 3d-$2.99
And much much more
Basically any game made by Microsoft studios is fantastic!!
Enjoy:)

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

Be sure to search optional updates and update office from 2013 preview to full version.
Hope you enjoy it I made a list for you on some really great games you should look at:

Jetpack joyride-Free
Soulcraft-Free
Sprinkle-(Probably one of the most graphic enhanced game in the store and has amazing physics)-$1.49 I think?
Rayman jungle run-Amazing looks great on RT-$2.99
Rocket riot 3d-$2.99
And much much more
Basically any game made by Microsoft studios is fantastic!!
Enjoy:)

Thanks. One question though... what do you mean upgrade to full Office? I opened Word and it didn't say anything about it being a trial version... How do I upgrade it?

I will be checking out the Microsoft games very soon. Taking things slow for the moment. I want to break in the device a little bit and get accustomed to windows on tablet. Loving it so far BTW... Still have to download Netflix and a news aggregator. Been using IE for this forum and already installed Evernote. Thanks again!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unless there is a new build on the Surface RT it shipped with the Consumer Preview Build for Office, from the Search Charm "Type Update" click on Settings to filter results and select Install Optional Updates and if required it will be in there...

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

Unless there is a new build on the Surface RT it shipped with the Consumer Preview Build for Office, from the Search Charm "Type Update" click on Settings to filter results and select Install Optional Updates and if required it will be in there...

Ok thanks. Will try that now.