What's new

Ordered my Surface RT!

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

OK.. Got it. Installed all optional updates. Now for a slightly more complicated question...

I have two gmail accounts linked to my Surface for email. Only one is set as my Microsoft ID. Problem is... my calendar is set up on the other email address. For mail I have already set it up so I can view both accounts... but is there a way to get the calendar to sync with my gmail account that is not my Microsoft ID? When in calendar I go to the Settings charm and click accounts and then Add Account but the only options are Hotmail and Outlook. Gmail does not show up here. If I go to Options it lists my Microsoft ID but not the other email (the one that my calendar is set up on)... It's not a big deal if it can't be done but was just curious if there is a way. Thanks. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think you may need to associate that other GMAIL Account with Outlook.com as Google disabled the ability to natively sync with Windows through EAS.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks! Will try out the swipe down from top of screen to bottom trick. I just don't want to be eating up resources. Thanks again. :)

What I meant is Windows is really good about managing the run sources unlike the old days so you shouldn't have to worry about it for modern ui apps. You do still need to manually account for desktop apps though. So if you have word, excel and ie with 10 tabs open you might want to close some stuff. Desktop apps close the old fashioned d way with the x in the upper right though.

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

What I meant is Windows is really good about managing the run sources unlike the old days so you shouldn't have to worry about it for modern ui apps. You do still need to manually account for desktop apps though. So if you have word, excel and ie with 10 tabs open you might want to close some stuff. Desktop apps close the old fashioned d way with the x in the upper right though.

Won't I get better battery life if I close out of metro apps though? That's what I've been doing and battery life is excellent.

pallentx

It might effect battery life a little, but most of the apps not in use will be in a suspended state. I try to keep it clean just to reduce clutter. I don't want to open the task switcher panel and have it filled with stuff I'm not using anymore. A few times, I have had an app fail to launch, closed everything, and then it worked. I don't know if that was coincidence, or if I needed things closed for the app to launch.