What's new

Solved Pen for original Surface Pro Model 1514

Zenica

I have an original Surface Pro running a fresh install of Windows 10.
I have long stopped using the tablet PC but now that my kids are home, I've resurrected it for their use.
The pen it was supplied with is missing and I've been trying to replace it. I ordered a DELL pen as it was highly rated but it didn't work
on the Surface. I purchased an older N-trig LS04-A09 but it isn't recognized either. Microsoft is of no help, they only tell me my Surface
is no longer supported.

So, what kind of pen does the Wacom digitizer use?

Thanks!

OP
Z

Zenica

Hello again.
I acquired what was advertised as a Microsoft 1616 pen but my Pro is not recognizing it.
Is there a pairing procedure? It doesn't seem to use BT.

For clarity, this pen uses a AAAA battery, is the 1616 supposed to?

This pen has a wire clip, two side buttons, one blue end button and the tip.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zenica

Thank you again for assisting me.

My pen has no LED indicators.
I followed the steps from the link but my tablet lacks a touch controller firmware listing.
Mine has the following firmware listed:
Firmware Resource
Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware
Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware
Surface Pro UEFI

I have a single "other devices" listing for cover trackpad. I don't have any devices that are unknown or that have a yellow exclamation on them.

EDIT:
You said the pen uses BT for the buttons but what of the tip? Should it still work as a pen and act upon the screen like a finger? because it doesn't.

OP
Z

Zenica

Before posting this thread, I had researched it and tried to find the answer, not expecting it to be so tedious. In doing so, I came across a Wikipedia (yes, I know, it's Wikipedia!) and it confirmed what I remember.
Back when I purchased it, there were only two options. RT and Pro. Mine is not an RT as the original Microsoft box has the insert for the pen and it has the 128GB storage. Windows RT doesn't allow for downloads of programs
outside of the Microsoft App Store, well not natively that is. I've never had any restrictions in this regard. The RT also had a maximum storage of 64GB and did not come with nor can it utilize a pen. This is the first generation of Surface Pro tablet but it is a Pro.

Wikipedia

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is the first generation of Surface Pro tablet but it is a Pro.

Good piece of research! Perhaps your early gen Pro did not have all the features which made it into the next stage. Have you dared to do a "factory reset" to attempt at getting that driver?

OP
Z

Zenica

Good piece of research! Perhaps your early gen Pro did not have all the features which made it into the next stage. Have you dared to do a "factory reset" to attempt at getting that driver?
Thanks!
I don't know how that can be done. My son is using it right now for school work so I can't look but as I recall, the BIOS was very basic. I have Windows 10 Pro now as a clean install so I don't have any original MS software.
How would you suggest I look to see if it is an option?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!
I don't know how that can be done. My son is using it right now for school work so I can't look but as I recall, the BIOS was very basic. I have Windows 10 Pro now as a clean install so I don't have any original MS software.
How would you suggest I look to see if it is an option?
Settings, Update & Recovery, Recovery.
You will have a few options from there.