What's new

Possible Surface Problems After Firmware 390.3192.768.0 April 16, 2020

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE:

Due to the lack of complaints regarding this firmware update worldwide, I am assuming the issue was mine only. The firmware is assumed to be okay.

- - - -

It could be that Surface Firmware 390.3192.768.0 from April 16, 2020 causes extremely poor performance after installing.

This happened to both of my Surface Book 2 units today. After the firmware update and the Surface is restarted, all seems well for a minute or two. Then, OneDrive does not finish syncing, and programs and apps can take up to 3 minutes to start (Edge, Office, Microsoft Store, 3rd party programs and apps). I tried isolating the problem by one-by-one disabling networking, iCloud, SMB services. Finally, disabling Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection for 3 minutes then re-enabling fixed all problems.

It could be that Windows Defender was somehow detecting an infection or other system issue, and could not resolve it, until restarted.

Last edited:
Would that firmware update also be for other Surface devices like the Surface Pro 6, or just for the Surface Books? I just checked and there is no firmware update for my SP6 today (4/16/202).

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that the firmware is only for the Surface Book 2, since firmware is applied to hardware. Cannot be sure. Just wanted to post my experience.