What's new

Power Button Menu?

WoRie

Hi,

I'm an owner of a Surface Pro 2 and have been using the original Surface RT as well as an iPad.

When I'm streaming music via bluetooth and switch of the screen with the power button, BT gets disconnected and the music stops. On my ipad it continues playing and keeps the connection (don't know about the Surface RT).
A small tool mapped to the power-Button that would display different options right under the pressed button would be handy. Options such as "Turn of screen, but keep playing music over BT" (maybe while downclocking the CPU) or "Standby" that you can hit with your thumb and that would default to "Standby" after 3 secs.

Is there such a program available or is someone able to code something like this? I believe It would be a godsend for all tablet owners running Windows 8.

Dane

There is a menu available for what the power button does under the Power Management options, but unfortunately I believe your options are either "sleep", "hibernate", "shut down", or "do nothing".

What I do is set the power options to turn the screen off after a minute or two if no action takes place, but continue to keep the hard drives active (so the music keeps playing).

deldalton

There is a menu available for what the power button does under the Power Management options, but unfortunately I believe your options are either "sleep", "hibernate", "shut down", or "do nothing".

What I do is set the power options to turn the screen off after a minute or two if no action takes place, but continue to keep the hard drives active (so the music keeps playing).

Exactly. The button on top of the device cannot independently switch off the screen. As Dane has explained, it can either Do Nothing, put the device to Sleep or Hiberante, or Shutdown the device.

I also have a similar setup to Dane, that automatically switches off the screen after so many minutes of idle time.

Is there such a program available or is someone able to code something like this? I believe It would be a godsend for all tablet owners running Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any other way to produce the results you're looking for.