What's new

Solved Problem opening many MUI apps

kips

When I first got my SP3 (first day in UK) I think it did a system update immediately... couldn't swear to it though.

Anyway, I set about installing all the applications I need, all of which are desktop apps.

I then ventured to the Windows store to install some games, and settled on a 3D chess game. I also installed a magazine application for cyclist (this one). I took a look at Flipboard too, which was already installed.

They worked fine, I was chuffed to bits.

One system update later these three apps failed to work. Basically they stopped opening after their initial load screen. An error is recorded in the windows error log: I think the key bit is this - and it's the same for all the apps:

Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

In fact other MUI apps don't work such as the fresh paint one. It has the same error in the logs. Other apps, IE, the weather app, do work.

I'm all up to date with windows update.

Does anyone have similar problems or hopefully ways to resolve this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you installed 3rd Party Antivirus or Firewall? Have you turned off the Windows Firewall or disabled User Account Control? Any of these can break MUI Apps....

OP
K

kips

No 3rd party AV or firewalls. I turned of the windows firewall and disabled UAC, but still got the same problems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn them off as that breaks them. Another thing is if TIME is out of Sync MUI Apps can break. You can also attempt to Sync Your Licenses from the Store APP Settings Charm APP Updates.

If that doesn't work consider a refresh.

OP
K

kips

Hmmm, a refresh is a refresh of my SP 3? So asking it to re-install everything with the hope it fixes these issues? Sorry, that last sentence really shouldn't be read with disdain, but if that is what it means then I'm probably not going to do that and will wait for some future update to resolve it, or windows 9. Or maybe a change of wind, or some pixie dust (that should be read with disdain but it's aimed at MS not you!!)

The reason is I can live without the MUI apps, but my 3 monitor set-up with a plugable docking station has been a little sensitive to windows installs and I don't want to jeopardise that in any way since the SP3 is mostly for work (desktop apps) not play (MUI apps).

surfdock

Please follow these steps to collect some logs:
- Run dxdiag.exe – click “Save all info”
- Run dispdiag.exe from the command-line and save the .dat file
- Visit http://displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=109 and download the DL diagnostic tool. Click the advanced options in the UI and enable advanced logging. Click Gather support info and save the log file.
- Run eventvwr.msc and see if you can find any failures corresponding to the app crashes. Grab the full xml text and save to a txt file.

Please gather all that up and post it in a zip file on onedrive. You can PM me if you don't want to share broadly. We have seen couple issues like this but have not gotten a consistent repro or full logs to diagnose.

After you have completed that, please disconnect you Pluggable and uninstall all DisplayLink software from add/remove programs in control panel, then reboot. I bet this will help things a little.

Then try going into device manager and "uninstall" the Intel HD graphics driver and reboot. The OS will auto-install the driver after a minute. Reboot again. Then try plugging the Pluggable dock back in to get the DisplayLink SW to auto-install. Reboot again See if the issue happens again.

Sorry that's a lot of steps to follow, but this will *really* help get to the bottom of this.
Cheers,
Dan

kundas1

^^ WOW! that isn't a little over whelming.. OP did you get all that? lol thx for the help Surf

OP
K

kips

Thanks Surfdock. I've started a conversation with you (I presume that is the PM method) which includes a link to the files you've asked for.

I will follow your other suggestions around removing files and drivers at the weekend when I've got more time.

Ta

OP
K

kips

I followed the steps from surfdock, about uninstalling the DisplayLink software etc, and now everything is working fine.

Thanks surfdock. :)