What's new

Problem with power saver mode

jackh

Telemetry drivers is data collecting.
Microsoft is interested in seeing how you use your keyboard cover of choice, so that they can collect all sorts of data and dump in a database, and then all they see on their side, is stuff like:
-> "40.225% of TypeCover users that use the left and right click, and seams to tap it several times in a row (more than double click action) without moving the cursor" and then they can conclude for example: this may indicate that the button implementation that we added isn't good. Can we release a firmware update to fix that, or help the issue? Yes/No. And also: "This is something to consider in improving in the 3rd generation of our covers."

Good to know about the missing Telemetry Driver-Thanks-Still very curious why all my drivers are so old on such a new device with the new processor to boot!!

Jack

GoodBytes

Telemetry drivers is data collecting.
Microsoft is interested in seeing how you use your keyboard cover of choice, so that they can collect all sorts of data and dump in a database, and then all they see on their side, is stuff like:
-> "40.225% of TypeCover users that use the left and right click, and seams to tap it several times in a row (more than double click action) without moving the cursor" and then they can conclude for example: this may indicate that the button implementation that we added isn't good. Can we release a firmware update to fix that, or help the issue? Yes/No. And also: "This is something to consider in improving in the 3rd generation of our covers."

Good to know about the missing Telemetry Driver-Thanks-Still very curious why all my drivers are so old on such a new device with the new processor to boot!!

Jack

Usually OEMs don't update the initial image made as it was extensively tested for proper operation of the device. They only time they update it is if there is a new Service Pack, or in a new Windows version, like Windows 8.1, or if it's been a while. My Surface Pro 2 is batch 1401, like yours has the 4300U CPU, but in my case it had the October firmware pre-installed. So I guess they have updated the image. (That or I installed it without paying attention that I have installed it among the updates). I don't feel like refreshing my system to confirm.

jrapdx

That's interesting about the Firmware dates on your 2 week old SP--I just got a new Pro 2 512gb last week lot code 1352 with the 4300 processor and all my drivers in device mgr date as far back as August 2013--My UEFI driver is dated 9/16 and I also do not have any Surface Cover Telemetry Driver anywhere in Device Mgr and no Unknown Devices--

I also have a 3 month old Pro 2 256 and it has All the newest drivers including the Telemetry driver where it should be located in the System category in Device Mgr--

I talked to Support on the question of why all my drivers are so old on a device made the last week of December with the new processor and the missing Telemetry Driver and they didn't have a clue!!

By the way my Type Cover 2 works perfectly without that Driver--

Jack

I'd expect that your "virgin" SP2 would receive Windows Updates once that's set up. Seems by default updates are automatically downloaded and installed, but as many point out, probably better to set Updates to notify you, but not download or install until you've reviewed what is offered. You've probably already done this, but check the Update settings. Naturally, updates depend on a working internet connection, not a trivial consideration given the rather marginal stability of WiFi connections I've experienced with the SP2.

BTW, my current SP2 is also Lot No. 1352, and before updates were downloaded and installed, it's status was just like what you are describing.

GoodBytes description of telemetry is quite clear, and obviously that function does not determine if the Cover keyboard works, since the keyboard is attached via USB, probably the most common approach among PC's, and in principle should be more reliable than bluetooth since USB is a "wired" connection.

jackh

Usually OEMs don't update the initial image made as it was extensively tested for proper operation of the device. They only time they update it is if there is a new Service Pack, or in a new Windows version, like Windows 8.1, or if it's been a while. My Surface Pro 2 is batch 1401, like yours has the 4300U CPU, but in my case it had the October firmware pre-installed. So I guess they have updated the image. (That or I installed it without paying attention that I have installed it among the updates). I don't feel like refreshing my system to confirm.

I set up Windows update as soon as I turned on the 512 for the first time to notify me of updates but don't download or install-learned the hard way with my 256-I then downloaded all available updates an there was no Oct 24 offered-I installed most of the updates except the Jan Hardware/Firmware-

jrpdx-So you did have all the older drivers like me before updating--did you get the Oct 24th update? If not what update do you think updated all your Drivers?

I have manually updated on both my Pro 2's the Intel video driver to 3345 downloaded from Intel's site and I would hate an update to return it to the older driver and remove the Intel Graphics Utility

Jack

GoodBytes

When I tried the Intel intergrated graphic on a Surface Pro 2 I had to return (and ordered a new one) due to a fault with the pen, I tried the Intel GPU drivers and it just killed the battery life of the system, despite telling the graphic solution to be under power saving in the Intel Control Panel, and my device was warmer. Clearly the GPU was going at full blast speed and stuck there. I had to remove it and install back the Surface Intel driver. i had no issues with the default drivers, like now, everything is perfect, I just tried it as I was curious.

jackh

When I tried the Intel intergrated graphic on a Surface Pro 2 I had to return (and ordered a new one) due to a fault with the pen, I tried the Intel GPU drivers and it just killed the battery life of the system, despite telling the graphic solution to be under power saving in the Intel Control Panel, and my device was warmer. Clearly the GPU was going at full blast speed and stuck there. I had to remove it and install back the Surface Intel driver. i had no issues with the default drivers, like now, everything is perfect, I just tried it as I was curious.

To be honest I haven't seen that as both my pro's are docked most if not all of the time and the new drivers seem to display everything a little crisper and no banding issues--

Jack

jrapdx

jrpdx-So you did have all the older drivers like me before updating--did you get the Oct 24th update? If not what update do you think updated all your Drivers?

Jack

According to timestamps of the files in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\*, here is a table of drivers installed:
Date(Number of Drivers)
2013-08-22(528)
2013-09-18(40)
2013-12-25(4)
>=2014-01-14(64)
I acquired this SP2 on Jan 14 2014, and updated it right away. In total, 64 drivers/updates have been installed since I've owned it, and 572 had been "pre-installed", only 4 of which were newer than Sep 2013.

It's hard to parse which update belonged to the Oct 24 2013 FW update, but given the small size of the 12-25-2013 updates, the Oct 24 FW is probably distributed among the Jan 14 updates I received. In any case, obviously not all drivers have been updated, in fact ~90% are still the originals from Aug/Sep 2013. I'm guessing most won't be, and don't need to be updated.

FW fixes are another matter. Very little info is provided about such updates, and their arrival is always shrouded in mystery. The notorious Dec 10 episode is a reason for the advice to proceed cautiously when FW updates come along.

jackh

According to timestamps of the files in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\*, here is a table of drivers installed:
Date(Number of Drivers)
2013-08-22(528)
2013-09-18(40)
2013-12-25(4)
>=2014-01-14(64)
I acquired this SP2 on Jan 14 2014, and updated it right away. In total, 64 drivers/updates have been installed since I've owned it, and 572 had been "pre-installed", only 4 of which were newer than Sep 2013.

It's hard to parse which update belonged to the Oct 24 2013 FW update, but given the small size of the 12-25-2013 updates, the Oct 24 FW is probably distributed among the Jan 14 updates I received. In any case, obviously not all drivers have been updated, in fact ~90% are still the originals from Aug/Sep 2013. I'm guessing most won't be, and don't need to be updated.

FW fixes are another matter. Very little info is provided about such updates, and their arrival is always shrouded in mystery. The notorious Dec 10 episode is a reason for the advice to proceed cautiously when FW updates come along.

Thanks Very Helpful!!

By the way how do you get that sort level from the Driver Store?

Again Thanks!!

Jack

jrapdx

Thanks Very Helpful!!

By the way how do you get that sort level from the Driver Store?

Again Thanks!!

Jack

Glad that helps, good to know I've done something actually useful!

Sorting the Driver Store--I was afraid someone would ask that question. ;)

Short answer: I used an obscure and convoluted hack.

Real answer: I had previously installed Cygwin64, a very handy unix-like toolbox. I'd also installed the Windows version of TclTk 8.6.1, another handy tool. First I used tclsh at a command prompt to calculate the number of days since the directories in Driver Store had been modified (i.e., installed):

% / [- [clock seconds] [clock scan "2013-08-22"]] [* 24 3600]
% / [- [clock seconds] [clock scan "2013-09-18"]] [* 24 3600]

Then using the Cygwin shell, after cd to the Power Store directory, the find.exe and wc.exe utilities were employed to compute the number of directories in Driver Store for each number of days calculated above:

$ /bin/find.exe . -maxdepth "1" -mtime "+162" | wc -l
$ /bin/find.exe . -maxdepth "1" -mtime "135" | wc -l

Using find.exe here is a little tricky because I only wanted the count of directories not the files in the directory, hence "maxdepth" is 1. The modification time parameter "mtime" is 0-based, so the number of days is reduced by 1. "find" outputs a list of text lines, one name per line, and the list is piped to "wc" ("Word Count") . The wc command with the "-l" switch outputs the count of lines piped into it.

Now that looks a lot more complicated that it was to do. I'm quite sure there are better ways to do the task, but I'm not so familiar with the corresponding Windows tools, like PowerShell. I'll eventually learn PS (which was inspired by tools like Tcl). ATM I used what I know, pretty quick and a bit dirty though it might be.

Well, now you know the gory--and scary--details...