What's new

Power Saver mode = 100% disk usage (freeze and laggy)

joga

looks much better this way.
thank you joga! I will try it later....but first, tell me something:
From what I can gather, my windows update is the problem of all this.
I noticed what he thought and did download the drivers and firmware, but for some reason did not install them correctly, but STILL accused as if he had installed. (including some updates appear 2, 3 times)
I tryed the command pront > DISM.exe /online blablabla; i tryied the "fix it" from Microsoft support, nothing really helps.

I just factory reseted my surface pro 2 FOUR TIMES trying different things to fix the power saver AND the inability of the windows update to work properly.

Whenever I could fix one, the other returned.
I concluded that my problem is the image of the windows created in the surface recovery partition.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae272/NilEdwin/IMG_0639_zpsabce80cd.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae272/NilEdwin/IMG_0640_zpsdd2498ba.jpg

@joga, do you think these steps can fix all of my problems?

--

We had similar issues on our SP2. I could not update the drivers using Windows update too.

By following the instruction you will apply most of the new drivers to your recovery partition on USB and recreate your recovery patition on your local disk. This means you will allready have the new drivers installed before you run windows update. Save all your data, you will need to recreate all partitions on your SP2.

You will also get rid of the annoying "Surface Cover Telemetry" driver issue, which made me mad.

I'm very happy with my SP2 now. It's running flawless...

Go ahead and try it, i think you will not be disappointed.

Let me know the result. I'm curious to hear how it worked out for you.

joga

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
N

Nil Edwin

--

We had similar issues on our SP2. I could not update the drivers using Windows update too.

By following the instruction you will apply most of the new drivers to your recovery partition on USB and recreate your recovery patition on your local disk. This means you will allready have the new drivers installed before you run windows update. Save all your data, you will need to recreate all partitions on your SP2.

You will also get rid of the annoying "Surface Cover Telemetry" driver issue, which made me mad.

I'm very happy with my SP2 now. It's running flawless...

Go ahead and try it, i think you will not be disappointed.

Let me know the result. I'm curious to hear how it worked out for you.

joga

Here says:
Prerequisites

- Windows 8.1 (RTM\GA) so we can use the correct version of DISM.exe
- 8GB USB stick
- Surface Pro 2 driver pack (Download Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Centre)

The first one, where i can find it? I can get by torrent but most of w8.1 torrents come "pré-activated", and i dont want a pirate cd-key on my surface :/

Again, thanks for your help!

joga

Here says:
Prerequisites

- Windows 8.1 (RTM\GA) so we can use the correct version of DISM.exe
- 8GB USB stick
- Surface Pro 2 driver pack (Download Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Centre)

The first one, where i can find it? I can get by torrent but most of w8.1 torrents come "pré-activated", and i dont want a pirate cd-key on my surface :/

Again, thanks for your help!

Its just Windows 8.1, the version which is installed on your SP2. No need to download Win8.1 from anywhere.

Use your current dism version and you shoud be ok.

joga

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Its just Windows 8.1, the version which is installed on your SP2. No need to download Win8.1 from anywhere.

Use your current dism version and you shoud be ok.

joga

Since my windows 8.1 has corrupted windows update files, its ok to do this with current windows 8?
Are you sure?

joga

Joga, u just won a STEAM cd-key bro.
IT WORKD!
I will send you by private message!

Are all your issues fixed?

I'm glad it worked for you too :).

Seems like a lot of issues are related to a bad restore Image. The good thing is we now know how to solve it.

joga

beq

After searching the web i found the following instructions:

Systems Admin Guy | How to update Surface Pro 2 Recovery Image drivers

Thanks from me too. I'd avoided doing that in the past, but now am interested.

It's too bad that Microsoft's download page for the manual firmware/driver pack was published Feb 6, 2014 and thus only contains up to the "January" updates? Whereas the latest February firmware stuff posted via Windows Update has a date of Feb 11, 2014. Should I wait a few days to see if the manual download pack gets updated accordingly?

Also the Microsoft download page now lists 3 files:

- January2014SurfacePro2.zip
- Surface Pro 2 Display Driver 15.33.10.3368.zip
- Surface Ethernet Adpater.zip

Whereas the Systems Admin Guy instructions were written when, I assume, the only download file available was October2013SurfacePro2.zip. Should I extract and incorporate the drivers from all 3 files, or just the first file (January2014SurfacePro2.zip)?

How come the display driver has been separated out from the main driver pack file? And does the original recovery image also contain a driver for the Surface Ethernet adapter?

Last edited:

joga

Thanks from me too. I'd avoided doing that in the past, but now am interested.

It's too bad that Microsoft's download page for the manual firmware/driver pack was published Feb 6, 2014 and thus only contains up to the "January" updates? Whereas the latest February firmware stuff posted via Windows Update has a date of Feb 11, 2014. Should I wait a few days to see if the manual download pack gets updated accordingly?

Also the Microsoft download page now lists 3 files:

- January2014SurfacePro2.zip
- Surface Pro 2 Display Driver 15.33.10.3368.zip
- Surface Ethernet Adpater.zip

Whereas the Systems Admin Guy instructions were written when, I assume, the only download file available was October2013SurfacePro2.zip. Should I extract and incorporate the drivers from all 3 files, or just the first file (January2014SurfacePro2.zip)?

How come the display driver has been separated out from the main driver pack file? And does the original recovery image also contain a driver for the Surface Ethernet adapter?

I used only the January2014SurfacePro2.zip drivers.
Dunno why the display driver is separated. You have to ask MS :). I installed the display driver manualy after the restore. Worked great.
Dunno if the original recovery image contains the driver of the Surface Ethernet Adapter. I don't use it.

I don't know if and when MS will update the manual firmware / driver pack. You can update your recovery partition using the january pack and run windows update after the restore. You have to run windows update anyway.

joga

OP
N

Nil Edwin

IMG_0649_zps941268bc.jpg

Thats weird....

I did everything correctly , but seems like 2 things happened:

1 - even the USB recovery having january drivers / bios, device menager shows december - 2013 bios "driver date"
2 - Seems also that 11/feb firmware didnt installed correctly...

:/

Since all the rest is doing fine, i will let it in that way.
Just tired formating and blabla bla lol

mennogreg

I think that's normal. I have the same thing. The February update did not install new UEFI drivers, as far as I know. The last one was released in January, which would coincide with the one shown in your image. Look at the one underneath, the System Pro Aggregator firmware, and tell us the date on that; should say January 14th.

Last edited:

joga

IMG_0649_zps941268bc.jpg

Thats weird....

I did everything correctly , but seems like 2 things happened:

1 - even the USB recovery having january drivers / bios, device menager shows december - 2013 bios "driver date"
2 - Seems also that 11/feb firmware didnt installed correctly...

:/

Since all the rest is doing fine, i will let it in that way.
Just tired formating and blabla bla lol

I think it's normal. Run Windows Update and you should be fine.

Glad to hear you are happy with your SP2 now. ^^