What's new

Power Saver mode = 100% disk usage (freeze and laggy)

bamaster

Who know what cr@p you're syncing from a illegitimate copy of Windows... in good conscience my only advice a scrap your Surface and do a complete factory reset and not sync, I would also recommend that you bring your other machine into compliance...

Yeah, this.

OP
N

Nil Edwin

No. That is VERY bad. It should be 100%. My 2 year old SSD on my desktop is 100% today, and I trash it with write.

:/ 96% sounds pretty good....
Theres any other software i can try to fix this?
Maybe a defrag, i dont know.....maybe is the windows partition on my SSD is corrupted and sending the faulty format to my clean partition....

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Screenshot_zpsfa60e015.png

Thats the Crystal Disk software print screen.

OP
N

Nil Edwin

UPDATE: Formated again, without doing any king of country, time , zone or keyboard change, without sync with my desktop account (I created a new one when surface asked me), and doing all updates first.

The problem continues, SSD reading 100% on power saver......

I think im just returning this piece of shit to microsoft

GoodBytes

Sorry to hear that you had a faulty SSD with your Surface Pro 2.
That's the problem with SSD's. If they work at 100%, it's completely fails, and usually you have no warnings of.
While an HDD, I best they are huge amount of faulty HDDs on the market, where they have 1 or several bad sectors, but as no one actually checks, it's all good.
Unless it's something major there is no performance drop visible. On an SSD, if you have a faulty chip, then you have strange issues.

I had an SSD once where, I installed Windows, everything was good, but every program I installed, despite installing successfully, would say "Invalid Win32 applications" by Windows when running them.
But after re-installing them 2-3 times they work.... for a moment... then stops working with invalid Win32 application bug. After further investigating, the SSD was faulty and was returned to the store for replacement. Now it works perfectly. I heard other storie where the SSD was faulty and leading to strange results, like where, when the RAM was filling up, program running on the back and idles where returned too, the system or program were crashed. It looked like faulty RAM, but nope. The pagefile was corrupted on the SSD. So as soon as Windows swamp things from RAM to the SSD, data was corrupted. So when it load it back from SSD to RAM, it was well all corrupted, and Windows wasn't able to detect the issue.

Hopefully your next Surface Pro 2 will be in good shape.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nil Edwin

Sorry to hear that you had a faulty SSD with your Surface Pro 2.
That's the problem with SSD's. If they work at 100%, it's completely fails, and usually you have no warnings of.
While an HDD, I best they are huge amount of faulty HDDs on the market, where they have 1 or several bad sectors, but as no one actually checks, it's all good.
Unless it's something major there is no performance drop visible. On an SSD, if you have a faulty chip, then you have strange issues.

I had an SSD once where, I installed Windows, everything was good, but every program I installed, despite installing successfully, would say "Invalid Win32 applications" by Windows when running them.
But after re-installing them 2-3 times they work.... for a moment... then stops working with invalid Win32 application bug. After further investigating, the SSD was faulty and was returned to the store for replacement. Now it works perfectly. I heard other storie where the SSD was faulty and leading to strange results, like where, when the RAM was filling up, program running on the back and idles where returned too, the system or program were crashed. It looked like faulty RAM, but nope. The pagefile was corrupted on the SSD. So as soon as Windows swamp things from RAM to the SSD, data was corrupted. So when it load it back from SSD to RAM, it was well all corrupted, and Windows wasn't able to detect the issue.

Hopefully your next Surface Pro 2 will be in good shape.

Thank you for helping me goodbytes!
Sent you a MP!
Thanks

OP
N

Nil Edwin

. UPDATE_:OmG I Just did it!!! i Fixed the Problem!

I will try to make exactly what I did!

1 - I just formatted the surface and didn log on my desktop account, installed all updates but it didn't workd.
2 - Then I downloaded the "manual surface drivers" from official Microsoft site, also downloaded the video card drivers.
3 - I just released that my windows update was downloading the "System Hardware Update - 1/18/2014" during 3, 4 times, everythime the same, and asking me to reboot to properly install it. I was doing it, and even doing everything correctly, he asks again. I release too that this update (28mb) was downloading too fast, the way is impossible to download and install a 28mb file, so actualy he wasn't downloading and installing.... (that's why he asked so many times for the same thing).
4 - I tryied to do a manual install then, but nothing worked (Because windows had downloaded most of the updates, but I want to install it manually)
5 - So after some search I release that, if I go to right bar > settings > control panel > under the bar menu "system and security" , you click in " find and fix problems" > system and security and clicn in " fix problems with windows update" .

When I did this, windows found 2 problems:
1 - potential windows update database error detected 0x80070490 (fixed)
and 2 - windows update components must be repaired (fixed)

But everytime I restart my surface, I did the same process and he always sayd he found and fixed it.

Heres come the most important part:

After release that was a windows problem, I downloaded (has I mentioned before) the manual drivers, keep it on my downloads, and did this:
Right bar > settings > change pc settings > update and recovery > recovery > refresh your PC without affecting your files > get started.

He just did, and when I was back to desktop, I did the manual installation of all I could. How?
1 - unzip everything
2 - in the drivers folders, click in " view" and mark "file name extensions".
3 - right click in every .inf file and click "install".

Then I did that " fix windows update" again, rebooted, and windows update did the rest.
Now I can use it again on power save mode :DDDDDDDDDD

Ps: im sorry for my English, I am so excited doing it by myself and helping find this fcking problem , that I just run here and did this tutorial.
Any questions just PM me

GoodBytes

Oh WOW! That was unexpected! Congrads!
I am wondering if the problem is that the Samsung SSD didn't work properly under low power, and at the same time you had a Windows Update issue, which prevented the January firmware which had Samsung firmware SSD inside to fix the issue, from being installed.
In any case, really awesome!

joga

I had a couple of issues with my SP2 128 GB too.

- high CPU utilization when using my Micro SD card
- high disk utilization when using power save mode
- unable to install drivers (wifi, audio, Surface Cover Telemetry ...)

--> the SP2 got hot and laggy, even by web browsing

I have an unit with a 4300U CPU, so i did not want MS to replace it.

After searching the web i found the following instructions:

http://systemsadminguy.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/how-to-update-surface-pro-2-recovery-image-drivers/

I followed all steps and i'm glad to say that all my issues are gone!!

Wifi, audi, and the issue with the Surface Cover Telemetry driver are fixed.
Power save mode works
no high CPU utilization when using my Micro SD card

I'm very happy.

It works for me so it should work for all others too.

Give it a try...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
N

Nil Edwin

I had a couple of issues with my SP2 128 GB too.

- high CPU utilization when using my Micro SD card
- high disk utilization when using power save mode
- unable to install drivers (wifi, audio, Surface Cover Telemetry ...)

--> the SP2 got hot and laggy, even by web browsing

I have an unit with a 4300U CPU, so i did not want MS to replace it.

After searching the web i found the following instructions:

Systems Admin Guy | How to update Surface Pro 2 Recovery Image drivers

I followed all steps and i'm glad to say that all my issues are gone!!

Wifi, audi, and the issue with the Surface Cover Telemetry driver are fixed.
Power save mode works
no high CPU utilization when using my Micro SD card

I'm very happy.

It works for me so it should work for all others too.

Give it a try...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

looks much better this way.
thank you joga! I will try it later....but first, tell me something:
From what I can gather, my windows update is the problem of all this.
I noticed what he thought and did download the drivers and firmware, but for some reason did not install them correctly, but STILL accused as if he had installed. (including some updates appear 2, 3 times)
I tryed the command pront > DISM.exe /online blablabla; i tryied the "fix it" from Microsoft support, nothing really helps.

I just factory reseted my surface pro 2 FOUR TIMES trying different things to fix the power saver AND the inability of the windows update to work properly.

Whenever I could fix one, the other returned.
I concluded that my problem is the image of the windows created in the surface recovery partition.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae272/NilEdwin/IMG_0639_zpsabce80cd.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae272/NilEdwin/IMG_0640_zpsdd2498ba.jpg

@joga, do you think these steps can fix all of my problems?

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Forgot to mention that screenshots shows the "find an fix problems with windows update" errors. Windows says its fixed, but if i reset my computer 304102903912 times and run the "find and fix problems", the same error will appear...