What's new

Protective Skin for My Surface Book - DecalGirl

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I've had stickerboy.net skin on my Surface Pro 3, which still looks new after well over a year of heavy use.

Now I have decalgirl.com skins on my Surface Book. Nice fit. Though a skin is not available for the bottom, I used scissors to trim an additional front sticker back from its 8 5/8" to 7 7/8 (21.8 cm cut back to 20.0 cm). The device serial number is on the bottom, so if you have any warranty or Microsoft Store work that needs physical verification, the bottom skin will have to be removed.

I've learned to gently apply these stickers (no stretching). The precision cuts are just right.
A nice thing about skins is that they can be removed or changed. The Surface Book remains pristine underneath.

Both of the mentioned companies do not cut out the logo. Note, however, that the Microsoft logo produces a subtle embossed look through the skin.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

BearFlag

Cool! I like the one for the cover and would also like it for the bottom, but not so much for the keyboard area.

Do you think this will protect the SB against scratches and moisture? I saw a reddit post a while back where some dude put his SP in a gym bag with a wet towel for a few hours and the moisture from the towel caused the surface of his SP to bubble. Something to do with magnesium and water reacting badly.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The vinyl skin will absolutely protect the Surface surface.
Sweaty, salty, oily hands, grime are always a threat. But skins are why why my SP3 still looks like new, though I have used it on geologic trips and international travel for over a year.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Vinyl decals are very forgiving.

- Very gently remove from the backing. If you had to tug at it, you were rushing, and the vinyl is stretching. If you did tug, wait about one minute for the vinyl to unstretch.
- Start at a corner. Leave just barely a thin gap between the device edge and the vinyl. Do not let the vinyl overhang. Test with your thumb to see if you feel overhang. Do not tug. Drape.
- Work along edges then the flat parts.

Air bubbles are not much of a problem with vinyl. They can be easily worked out to vent at an edge.

If some kind of sediment or grit gets between the device and the vinyl, you will see a bump. If this happens, slowly peel back the vinyl just past the bump, and scrape the sediment off of the adhesive with the point of a steak knife or similar. Slowly re-apply.

A textured skin (Stickerboy) will hide imperfections much better than a smooth skin (DecalGirl).

Thanks for the input! How many extra decals do you get when you buy from DecalGirl? And I assume they come off the device cleanly?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Skins come off with no residue, and no peeling. Comes off in one piece.
DecalGirl delivers two pieces - One for the back of the Clipboard, and one for the keyboard top. If you wish to also cover the bottom, order a second set, and trim with scissors before peeling from the delivery sheet, as directed in the first post above.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking good. I'm thinking of changing the decal girl skin on my SP3 so I was looking at stickerboy. for the SP3 it looks like the cut out side pieces extend further round the corners than the Decalgirl ones - as they kind of stop just before the corners on my SP3 Decalgirl skins so I end up picking at them. I might pick up a smooth leather skin for my SP3.

I really want to try one of these decals for my SB, but I feel like I might be a bit OCD with it. $25 isn't too expensive, but just not sure.

Talldog

I've used DecalGirl skins on my Kindles and SP3 and have been very happy with them. I just got my "Webbing" skin for my Surface Book today, and it looks great, although I do wish they had a piece for the bottom. As always, easy to put on and highly recommended. I prefer the matte finish.