What's new

Red Boot Screen

yeeahnick

ok i found the problem, i will post a fix procedure and a youtube video to show you guys. Microsoft also asked me to send them the procedure and video.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Wow, you were actually able to fix this? I was thinking a hardware fault was going to be the cause. Good job :)

yeeahnick

Here is my video: [video=youtube;0-ZxbiJ7fdE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ZxbiJ7fdE[/video]

You can also access that menu by holding volume up + power when booting the device

I must add that the MS agent/tech i spoke with on the phone and via chat was wonderful, she was very nice and comprehensive. She was ready to exchange the device but then i called her back to show her my solution and she thanked me twice for finding a solution and discovering that problem. She also tested this on her side with her surface and confirmed the same thing. She then said she will call me tomorrow to cancel my return request =) Thumbs up microsoft!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Ah, it's a warning screen to let you know the secure boot keys have been deleted. They should have been able to tell you that but it is nice to know there is a warning.

yeeahnick

makes sence now but it looked bugged to me because behind the word surface the background is still black but everywhere else its red... if it were red everywhere i would have knowen it was a warning screen hehe

what are those keys for anyways???? is there a way to put a password to acces those menus???

Last edited:

jeffskent

I had the same problem. I took the Pro to the MS Store and the tech had never seen it before. He googled the issue, found the description of the problem, fixed the problem and all is well. Someday, perhaps today, when you tell a doctor or a mechanic or almost anyone about a problem they will first google the problem and then fix it by means of their analysis of the googled results. Interesting world we live in. Soon almost all human knowledge will be online and only a few clicks away.

jeffskent

No. He said he googled and that was the end of it. I'm sure either search engine would have worked as well, but google seems to have become part of the common language. I google by voice on my iPhone quite a lot and it works very well. Fast and efficient, usually.

OP
U

unfeomateo

I fixed this problem using the same method that you used in the youtube video 5 days after I made the post but thought I was alone on this since no one posted anything. Glad to know I was not alone.

Surfdude

Try this:

1. Press and hold the Volume Up button.
2. Press the Power Button to turn the Surface Pro on.
3. Continue to hold the buttons until the Surface loads the UEFI screen.
4. You will enter the UEFI
5. Touch “Install Default Secure Boot Keys”
6. Touch “Yes” to load default secure variables
7. Look at “Secure Boot” and confirm it is enabled.
7. Touch Exit Setup.
8. Touch “Yes” to save configuration changes and restart the Surface

-SD

Djstujones

Try this:

1. Press and hold the Volume Up button.
2. Press the Power Button to turn the Surface Pro on.
3. Continue to hold the buttons until the Surface loads the UEFI screen.
4. You will enter the UEFI
5. Touch “Install Default Secure Boot Keys”
6. Touch “Yes” to load default secure variables
7. Look at “Secure Boot” and confirm it is enabled.
7. Touch Exit Setup.
8. Touch “Yes” to save configuration changes and restart the Surface

-SD
Thanks it Got me to. Sorry Guy's. I want to state, Especially as living in the UK. I am very happy with my surface pro. but don't want to restart or refresh it. It's perfect as it is LOL Thanks Here's how mine went
[video=youtube_share;jsMlRerUHp0]http://youtu.be/jsMlRerUHp0[/video]

Last edited: