What's new

Remote Desktop crashing

I cannot get either the desktop version of remote desktop nor the modern app to work from my surface. Every time I try to log in it crashes. My desktop appears for a split second then disappears and sometimes I'm just left with a black screen and sometimes the app shuts down altogether.

I know it's not an issue with my desktop because I used my Macbook (downloaded the remote desktop app from the App Store) to connect to my Dell desktop running 8.1 and it works flawlessly. I can even use the Macbook to connect to the surface. But the surfaces just refuses to connect to the Dell.

Can anyone else successfully use Remote Desktop? Any suggestions?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically when I'm seen this behavior it was caused by the Video Card Driver so either use lower settings or try the raw Intel Video Driver.

ctitanic

I cannot get either the desktop version of remote desktop nor the modern app to work from my surface. Every time I try to log in it crashes. My desktop appears for a split second then disappears and sometimes I'm just left with a black screen and sometimes the app shuts down altogether.

I know it's not an issue with my desktop because I used my Macbook (downloaded the remote desktop app from the App Store) to connect to my Dell desktop running 8.1 and it works flawlessly. I can even use the Macbook to connect to the surface. But the surfaces just refuses to connect to the Dell.

Can anyone else successfully use Remote Desktop? Any suggestions?
Try Remote Desktop Manager

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21101

I don't have any problems with Remote Desktop.

Screenshot (39).png

ctitanic

That app works!! Thank you. But what gives? I like the modern one better though. If I can connect using that app why can't I connect using any of the other remote desktop apps. This is driving me nuts.
The Metro RD does mot work well for me. In my case the right click using the pen is not accurate.

Anyway... It has been reported to Microsoft. I hope that they will fix it at one point one day.

ctitanic

If you want metro, try Mocha VNC. That's what I use most of the time. It's available at Windows Store.

OP
L

laestrella

Ok I got the regular desktop app to work by lowering the resolution in the remote desktop app. Turns out that the app does not like full screen or the full resolution of the surface.

I don't see any way to change the resolution in the metro app.

OP
L

laestrella

so annoying! I actually use Splashtop on all my other devices but the metro version has resolution issues as well. That's why I'm even looking.