What's new

Resetting Surface UEFI BIOS Password

SomeoneOnLine

Soooooooo, It appears that I forgot the password that I set in the uefi bios after i set the boot order to ssd only. I can get into windows just fine but unable to boot to usb. So I am on the phone with microsoft answer tech as i type this and the answer tech i am talking to says that by doing a full windows refresh (clean the drive) it will reset/clear the uefi bios password. Does that sound right? I always thought that motherboards uefi bios are stored on the mobo on a small icu/chip? Eitherway on the bright side i did make a coomplete ssd disk image using acronis a few weeks ago. So maybe i can just restore one of the other partitions besides the windows partition and i dont have to reset my device and redo all my stuff again.

~SOL

leeshor

You're correct, normally a BIOS/UEFI password is stored in CMOS on the motherboard. If that's the case you are SOL;)

But on the other hand the Surface may work differently.

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

i should have known better than to make up a new password i would forget. :( Thats my own fault. Since the surface works great otherwise im not in a hurry to redo everything since i finally have it dialed in the way i want it. other than the damn bios boot order being set to ssd only.

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

I can definitely say that as expected doing a full reset/refresh does NOT reset or clear the bios password. However it did reset the TPM. I still have the receipt for the surface and it's still in warranty with ms. Maybe I will call them and say it took a dump and won't boot (corrupt bcd/mbr record) Thus them hopefully replacing the whole thing. :(

OP
S

SomeoneOnLine

Interestingly enough when doing a refresh I was given the option to download the recovery image right from microsoft from inside the refresh process. I guess that's good enough as far as recovery goes as long as bcd doesn't die or get corrupted.

Efclydes

I do have the same problem, I actually knows my account password with witch I manage to login on my device, but when I try login into UEFI its says that a system password must entered, I don't know witch password is that since I didn't create other rather than the account one, can some please help me ?

Julia_G

Hi, so I spent the past couple of days working on my friends Microsoft Surface Book, that needed a new install of Windows 10 and had a UEFI system password on it that he did not know. In my research I came across a very very helpful site..... http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html
So I only got as far as plugging in a USB Keyboard, and through trial and error discovered that the password was "password". I think that this is the master password on the flashROM.

Anyways this worked for me, but I had tried this earlier in a moment of desperation with the "onboard keyboard" and it did not work!! I hope that this works for others as *start of rant* these "laptops" are voted the worst to work on and are being deemed a throw away item if something breaks on them!! Microsoft must have money to burn and not give a **** about the extra e-waste that they are contributing to our planet by not creating a product that is simple and easy to repair, even for the new user! *end of rant*.:(

Please comment if you find a master password for any other devices so that we can all help each other out!

Cheers,
Julia

Search tags for this page
forgot uefi password surface
how to bypass uefi password on surface pro
remove uefi password surface
reset surface pro 4 bios
surface bios password reset
surface pro 4 eufi password reset if you do not know it

surface pro 4 uefi password reset

surface uefi

surface uefi password