What's new

Surface Tab 3 BIOS/UEFI password lost

normaprice2003

I just purchased a Surface Tab 3 from a friend and it won't boot past the red Surface screen. I thought if I could boot to a USB I could reinstall Windows. However I have to change the boot order and someone put a password on the BIOS/UEFI and no one knows who did it or what the password it. If I hit enter at the password I get 2 options. Device Information and Exit.
Is there another way to reset this tablet or is it garbage?

OP
N

normaprice2003

@normaprice2003 ,

There is a chance that the BIOS/UEFI password was reset using a scheme which is based upon the manufacturer of one or more components. It is worth a try.

Visit this website, and use Option #2: How to recover or reset a BIOS or UEFI Password for Windows computers (thewindowsclub.com)
Thank you so much. It didn't work though. I tried the # 2 suggestion like it says and I don't get any messages. I tried the F2 and F12 key as per their instructions and still didn't get anything.
I'm not sure if there is a CMOS battery that could be pulled or not. I've seen different opinions on that so I guess the trash can is getting a nice tablet

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
This video shows how difficult that Surface Pro 3 is to service. But rather than trash it, you may want to extract the SSD. It is still useful in a cheap enclosure as an external drive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, if you could just go to a website and unlock it; it wouldn't be worth having to type it in once much less every time you boot up. Sorry but this is encouraging to see although bad for you.

Members online

No members online now.