I have a similar problem, it is very consistent. Could someone try this who has the touch keypad:
- Set your pro with a password to log in (local password is what I use, not sure if this fails with online)
- Have it set so screen locks and requires password on resume from sleep
- With keypad attached and Surface running, press power button briefly to put it to sleep
- With keyboard still attached, press power to resume.
- A gesture removes the picture, exposes the login box
- If you touch the login box the on-screen keyboard appears.
HOWEVER buggy behavior
- Before resuming, remove the keyboard that was there when it went to sleep.
- Resume by touching the power button
- Screen appears. One of two things happen:
1) The image chosen is on the screen, and you cannot make it go away (swipe, gesture, nothing)
- or -
2) Login prompt appears, you touch it, but no keyboard will pop up
I can 100% of the time reproduce this -- just remove the keyboard while sleeping, and there is no way to key in a local password. At least I've found no way around the problem while resumed (a hard reboot will of course fix it).
I think the system is confused by waking up without a keyboard it had when it went to sleep, and not handling it correctly.
Going to sleep without the keyboard and it resumes fine without it.
I can't imagine this is hardware on mine alone -- can someone confirm that's the behavior?
Every single time mine goes to sleep and I attempt to wake it, it reboots and then sends data to Microsoft. I am wary of this issue. It seems hardware related to me. hoping some update in the near future will resolve this issue.
Seems like my issue might be the same as yours. My system seems to crash quite often now and doesn't wake up right away. When I check the error log, I always see an error saying
The previous system shutdown at 10:16:30 PM on 2/19/2013 was unexpected.
I also see some device driver errors in there as well.
And one more thing I just found is this....
Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8
Seems like it may be common among Windows 8. But I'm unsure if you have the same issue as me. Can you check your event log?
I'm gonna try turning off fast startup tomorrow and see if that helps.