What's new

Reverted back to 8.1 - didnt like Win 10

van604

I guess the title says it all. I couldn't get my head around Windows 10. Just didn't see the point. For me there are a few major reasons, the biggest being that there was no "wow" factor to moving up... if ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get me wrong, I know that desktop users probably can see the advantage with the reconfigured Start screen and other items that became 'buttons' rather than gestures or annoying mouse-corners.

I'll apologise right off the bat if I sound like I'm going on a rant...

From a Surface Pro 3 experience, it did work out. Why would I move to a browser (Edge) thats half in between being a horrible desktop browser, and the other half in between a horrible 'touch' browser!? It doesn't do anything well. Doesn't import favourites, and when you do figure out how to import them then become all scattered at the top, in no particular order, and become tiny little buttons thus leaving less screen room. Don't even get me started on no forward and back swiping. What's the point of Edge? Why should I wait for MS to improve it over time while the OS I JUST CAME FROM had this feature? Do I just wait for updates?

One thing I always found with my SP3pro is the out of box experience was quote solid to date. In one year of ownership with 8.1, I can't remember any significant crashes, no keyboard or pen errors, no connection issues, no yellow bars, no charging issues, no fan issues, no heating issues, no nothing... really. Certainly not saying it was bullet proof but at soon as I upgraded to Win 10, this is what's happened within 3 weeks of using:
- fan always on, very random, just don't have the time, patience, or knowledge on dissecting start up or running apps to find the culprit. That's MS's job to do.
-two start up crashes where I thought the unit was bricked. Had to restart a couple times, got a scare on a particular instance where it required the boot USB emerg recovery!.... whhhaaaat!?
-on two other occasions I started it up with noon screen keyboard popping up, with no way to punch in my pin.
-separate occasions where tablet mode did not work with Edge, thus no keyboard support.
-can't put my finger on this one for sure but I'm pretty sure I had battery drains, seems the battery wasn't lasting as long and/or would wake while in my briefcase or sitting idle. Never happened with 8.1
-Every other time I would wake the laptop it wouldn't connect to the wireless. Never had been an issue prior, maybe just a few times within a year with 8.1, but with 10 it seemed like this connection issue, out of standby, happened like 15 times already.

I'm just done with it. Seems like Microsoft rushed it out. Also seems like a step backwards when it comes to a tablet experience. I'm all about the "new" and "fresh" OS and look and feel but this one just didn't cut it for me.

Cheers all.

CrippsCorner

There's definitely problems. Overall I've spent about 10 hours installing Windows 10! Maybe that's where it gets its name.

However I know updates are going to come through thick and fast so am hoping things will be fixed sooner rather than later. I must just remember not to mess around with Bluetooth settings as that's what bricked my machine last time! :rolleyes:

lparsons21

I have a few machines and like W10 on 2 of them. The Yoga 2 Pro and HP AIO desktop are just fine with W10. But the SP2 just isn't. From extremely short battery life to the lack of a real tablet mode, it just doesn't get the job done imo. I'll be taking the SP2 back to W8.1 and depending on how that goes, might even take the Yoga 2 Pro back too.

Edge is just a waste of time. Too many things missing from it to make it the daily driver browser. Desktop mode on the SP2 is just a real PITA to use unless I'm connected to the dock and using a bigger screen, and I've got the HP desktop for that anyway.

I won't say MS missed the mark, because in many ways they didn't. But for tablets it just isn't the bee's knees!!

Kris

Not trying to be rude but I miss the point of someone coming to the Windows 10 area of the forum and saying you don't like it and you are going back to Windows 7 or 8. Makes me think you want us to beg you to stay.

OP
V

van604

Kris, dude, seriously? Did you believe this forum was only going to be a forum dedicated to elated joyous users or hibernation issues? If I wanted attention about my issue it would be a one-liner stating "I'm going back to windows 8" with no explanation... maybe then I can see your point. I have provided my experience with substantiated points, homey , so chill out and move out of your parents basement, they told me your cramping they're style and you never cut the grass, so.....

Kris

Kris, dude, seriously? Did you believe this forum was only going to be a forum dedicated to elated joyous users or hibernation issues? If I wanted attention about my issue it would be a one-liner stating "I'm going back to windows 8" with no explanation... maybe then I can see your point. I have provided my experience with substantiated points, homey , so chill out and move out of your parents basement, they told me your cramping they're style and you never cut the grass, so.....
lol, thanks for that I needed the laugh. I was not trying to push your buttons or get an argument started. Welcome to the Forums, I might recommend that you not take everything so personal and lash out at people. It's also always better to ask if there is a fix for your issues instead of using your first post to be that you hate it, in the topic's own section. But you are right I do need to mow the lawn, my wife and girlfriend have been nagging me about it ;-)

OP
V

van604

Your right Kris, I should have probably asked questions to try and getting items working instead of going on, what may read to some, as a rant. Although I did try and apologise about it right off the bat... ;) ... and I was trying to be funny, so glad you laughed about it.

Now go mow the lawn. Lol

Kris

Your right Kris, I should have probably asked questions to try and getting items working instead of going on, what may read to some, as a rant. Although I did try and apologise about it right off the bat... ;) ... and I was trying to be funny, so glad you laughed about it.

Now go mow the lawn. Lol
damn I knew I forgot to do something today... Promise to mow it tomorrow.

stlbud

I guess the title says it all. I couldn't get my head around Windows 10. Just didn't see the point. For me there are a few major reasons, the biggest being that there was no "wow" factor to moving up... if ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get me wrong, I know that desktop users probably can see the advantage with the reconfigured Start screen and other items that became 'buttons' rather than gestures or annoying mouse-corners.

I'll apologise right off the bat if I sound like I'm going on a rant...

From a Surface Pro 3 experience, it did work out. Why would I move to a browser (Edge) thats half in between being a horrible desktop browser, and the other half in between a horrible 'touch' browser!? It doesn't do anything well. Doesn't import favourites, and when you do figure out how to import them then become all scattered at the top, in no particular order, and become tiny little buttons thus leaving less screen room. Don't even get me started on no forward and back swiping. What's the point of Edge? Why should I wait for MS to improve it over time while the OS I JUST CAME FROM had this feature? Do I just wait for updates?

I'm just done with it. Seems like Microsoft rushed it out. Also seems like a step backwards when it comes to a tablet experience. I'm all about the "new" and "fresh" OS and look and feel but this one just didn't cut it for me.

Cheers all.
I whole heartedly agree. Don't apologize. Say-it brother, and Say-it out loud! Make sure Microsoft hears you. While people were ranting about how awful Windows 8.1 was I kept quiet. Now, I'm afraid I'm stuck with Windows 10 and no future for Modern apps. I want a tablet, not a laptop.