What's new

Router for SP3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Linksys has yet to recover from CISCO totally messing them up. They were good before then but ever since, nothing but trouble.

double07

Yes, Netgear R7000 works well for me. I have close to 30 different variety of devices connected to r7000. all devices range from apple, Samsung, etc.. work extremely well. I have older apple extreme before that and it worked well too. I upgraded to r7000 to get ac. Sf3 works well on both. 866Mbps on r7000. 300Mbps on apple extreme, which is n max.

kozak79

Linksys E3000.

5ghz random Limited after reboot, fixes with disconnect/connect. Speed stays at about 120/140 Mbps.

I would love to hear of anyone using an AC router with the sp3 that has no limited issue and good throughput .

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then please buy mine then! I'm constantly needing to swap between 2.4 and 5 GHz to restore my lost internet access on all wireless laptops. The thing doesn't crash, but will not restart when hot!
Agreed... the Airports I had were the routers from ... the devils lair.

Bandito

I, too, am an Apple fanboy and have been very happy with my various Time Capsules, Airport Extreme, and Airport Expresses. They have always worked very well for me and I have a very mixed environment with a lot of non-Apple equipment accessing them as well.

That being said, I got the bug to upgrade, so thought I would try out the new Linksys WRT 1900 AC wireless router to see what it was like. It was a little rough at first, but now is doing really well. I was always able to connect to it, but oftentimes throughput would be an issue with my Apple equipment on the 2.4 GHz band. I did some research and found that Apple doesn't really play well with wide channels on that band, so I disabled them and all has been good ever since.

The main differences that I've noticed is that I do get better overall throughput with the Linksys than I did with the Time Capsule. It's not night and day, mind you, but maybe about a 15-20% improvement. The range is also a bit better than the Time Capsule, though not as much as I had hoped for. It still wasn't enough to get me an AC signal at the other end of the house, so when Linksys released the RE 8500 range extender recently, I added one of those. It did the trick and I now have AC coverage throughout my home with no additional wires.

I wish that the FCC would allow the 5GHz WiFi signals to broadcast with enough power to give an equivalent range to that of 2.4GHz signals, but, alas, they do not.

Now if I could just get the SP3 to make a good, high-speed connection, I'd be all set.

Deryl McCarty

Router EA6900 (1900AC), about a year old. I use a wired connection normally, through a StarTrack USB 310005 but when it fails (1-2 times per week, usually a driver issue) then it reverts automatically to the WiFi. I have a Comcast connection of 120Mbps down and 20 up. Certainly this varies but wired is just now 119.64 down and 23.34 up for the 30 mile connection twixt my home and the Seattle Speakeasy server. To the SF server it's 108.22 down and 23.61 up. Wirelessly it is 56.84 down and 23.82 up to Seattle and 50.32 down to SF and 23.35 up..

ipaq_101

What's the advantage against the netgear?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea, I know it allows you to make tweaks that experts like to use, none of the stuff I mess with.

The reason I went with custom firmware is due to the negative reviews of the product when it was released. I hope they have fixed it since then.

I am going to give netgear's latest firmware a try and see if there are any changes in performance.

ctitanic

To tell you the truth, I have no idea, I know it allows you to make tweaks that experts like to use, none of the stuff I mess with.

The reason I went with custom firmware is due to the negative reviews of the product when it was released. I hope they have fixed it since then.

I am going to give netgear's latest firmware a try and see if there are any changes in performance.
Please, keep me posted.